Author Topic: UDP Test tool updated  (Read 1380 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
UDP Test tool updated
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:47:27 PM »
Over the last few weeks I've been updating the test tool. The UI is better (but I'm still no UI designer by far), and it also includes new tests and old tests were improved.

• The webpage test was improved and now tests several ports at once with better feedback.
  • There is now a UPnP test to try and retrieve the Wan IP address if UPnP is supported by the router. The Wan IP address is the magic bit of information in determining CGNat/NAT444.
  • The Traceroute test now has an alternate way of running as the primary way may not work on some systems due to Windows security settings.

I've also updated the Running Tests and Getting to know the software threads.

If you can not download anything from Ring Engineering (except for whats on the his website) and even if you have run the Test tool before I implore you to use the Test tool to find out what's going on. I now know CGNat/NAT444 is more widespread than I first thought and it's likely the primary reason those who can not download can not do so. The only fix for CGNat/NAT444 is for Tim Ring to change his software and server to accept and respond to ports other than 80. If we can not get the evidence and present it to Tim Ring we can not get it fixed.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: UDP Test tool updated
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:16:53 AM »
Tim, I'm curious if the user was behind a free VPN tool, could it circumvent the CGNat/NAT444 issue?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: UDP Test tool updated
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
Possibly. It depends on what the VPN does with the ports, ie, the remote endpoint with the public IP address would need to send the packets to RE with a local port of 80 for RE's server to respond to it (ie, 1:1 mapping just like a non NAT444 connection). If it doesn't then RE won't respond just the same as for NAT444. Finding info on how the local port is handled is proving to be a bit difficult; it'd probably be easier to just set one up and see if it works.

There are two other things that could be an issue with using a VPN, one would be latency (I don't think RPA is very tolerant of it.) and the second is some ISP's block VPN traffic!

- Tim