Author Topic: Ring does not like this RailPro user group  (Read 5881 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Ring does not like this RailPro user group
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:54 PM »
I think you talking to Tim Ring is what made the difference for you.  Email is great and all, but he doesn't always get back to you immediately with email.  It is far faster and more productive to call.  He is almost always available to pick up the phone and in my experience has been more than happy to talk through any issues and help. 

I'm really not bothered that he doens't support our little group here.  I, for one, have found forums to be incredibly helpful for any of my many hobbies.  None of those forums are officially sanctioned by the companies that support such hobbies.  They are all run and populated by individual enthusiasts.  If some of the manufacturers join in the conversation, that's great.  But I've found that to be extremely rare and doesn't always go well for the manufacturer.  So I can see how Ring doesn't want to jump in here....plus I'm sure he doesn't want to make it seem like this group officially represents Ring Engineering.

We are simply a group of like-minded individuals who enjoy Railpro and want others to enjoy it to.  We help where we can, but without knowing the code that drives Railpro we can only do so much.  If we can't help, then a call to Ring Engineering is the next step.

HBW1412

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
Tom – From everything I’ve read here on this forum downloading from the Ring server is a somewhat slow and tedious process even with the best of internet connections.  The Wi-Fi speeds at places like McDonalds is really designed for customers with cell phones or tablets to be able to check their emails and such, not download full programs or sounds etc. from Ring Engineering.  It would probably take an hour or more to download a few basic sound, light and picture files at my closest McDonalds.  Then I’d have to drive back home which is 30 minutes one way.  All the time hoping that the programs downloaded correctly.  Of course, if they didn’t I’d have to give it another go.

Now, even after the download assistant software is installed the sounds, lights, pictures, etc. still have to be downloaded from the same server.  So, it would not be just one trip like you suggest.  I’d have to make multiple trips.  In fact, if you were in my shoes I don’t think you would do it in a heartbeat.

I did not come to the conclusion to give up on Ring Engineering for now without a lot of thought.  I have wanted RailPro for several years and was ready to spend several thousand dollars updating my Kato engines and DC controlled layout with Ring Engineering products this winter.  It was not until I started to actually download the software from Ring that I was faced with the NAT444 issue with satellite based internet service providers.  I have tried to think of a way around this problem, but the lengths I’d have to go to in order to use RailPro simply make it unwise for me to invest in such a product.

Until Ring Engineering decides to update its download protocols I will be locked out of Railpro.  Amazon, Microsoft and Google are just three companies that have the servers in place and offer services to companies like Ring that would make anything about RailPro as easy and fast to download as an update or even the downloads in the files section of this forum.  Frankly, there is no excuse for Tim Ring not to make his software simple to download and available to everyone.  The technology exists and is in wide use.

I've just heard of GML Enterprises from a guy at my local hobby shop. GML makes a very nice US made DC control system.  Since it seems I can't use RailPro I'm seriously looking at their system now.  I really like DC, but oh how I wish I could use RailPro.

KPack - I wish a call to Tim Ring would solve my issue.  Hughesnet customer service has told me that they do not support the type of file transfer used by Ring Engineering.  Apparently, Ring uses an older technology for file transfers and is not supported by satellite based internet service providers due to file compression and latency problems with satellite uplinks.  I've had Hughesnet for years and Ring Engineering is the first company I have ever come across that has not gone to the latest file transfer protocols.  Tim Ring will have to step up his game because as time goes on and more and more ISPs move to NAT444 standards out of necessity it will be Ring Engineering that will be blocked and not just a few potential customers like me.  Something tells me he has no intention of doing so though.  At least it doesn't seem like it.

craig3

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »
Heath

I sent you a PM- I am in Winchester VA and noted you are in the Blue Ridge mountains of VA.  If you are anywhere close to me, you could come by our office and log on thru our system to get all your downloads.  We have a Tiber optic line and it would be quick and secure.

Best,
Craig

HBW1412

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
craigalderman3 - I sent you a PM back.  I do appreciate the offer, but I'm about 4 hours from Winchester on the other end of the State.

Thanks,

Heath

DTSe42

• Fireman
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 06:28:54 PM »
Heath, I feel your pain on not being able to download at home.  I live out in the country without normal high speed internet except for using my iphone as a hot spot.  I can do just about everything I need to with my iphone except for being able to connect to the Ring servers.  I tried using some of the tips on RPUG without any success.  I then called Tim Ring and he seemed genuinely concerned about my issue and was very pleasant but still couldn't resolve the connectivity issue.  He suggested going to a public wifi or friends house to connect and download what I wanted on RPA.  I wasn't too happy about having to do that but I relented and went to McDonalds for a couple download fests.  Took me a couple of hours but I now have all the sound files I need including progam updates to get to the ULT sounds working properly.  Now that I have what I need I rarely need to connect except maybe for an software update once in awhile.  I'll will be in my truck heading for McDonalds when I hear there's a new 567 ULT file!  Some day I hope to figure out why I can't connect but at least Railpro works normally for me after all the hassle of the connectivity.

Brian D.

Tom

• Engineer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
Is there actually "a new 567 ULT file" on the horizon?

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Not at this time. I've recorded most of the current ULT files for Ring. I would also like to get my hands on a good 567 too along with an Alco 244 engine. It's not always easy to get a company to let you record their engines. Sometimes good leads turn out to be a dud, or the company just gets cold feet and/or wants a bunch of cash.