Author Topic: UDP Test tool updated - again  (Read 2013 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
UDP Test tool updated - again
« on: September 28, 2019, 03:19:00 AM »
Recently I'd been playing around with development of the RailPro CGNat proxy (quite successfully too) more so because I'd like to see the project through as a personal accomplishment than anything else and I came to realise how bad the UDP test tool and associated test webpage were when it came to displaying test results. I never intended for users to try and self diagnose with the tools and the test results were probably to many people the same as it would be to me looking at a scientific journal - gibberish, but self diagnose is what people have tried to do.

To that end because there is no end in sight for the issue (been what, 9 months since TR finally admitted the problem was his with still no fix?) over the last couple of days I've been improving the test tool and the test webpage to give much more meaningful test results to anyone who uses the tools to self diagnose their connection problem if they can't connect to RE's file server. This is likely the last time I'll do any maintaining of the tools.

I've also updated the Running Tests and Getting to know the software threads accordingly. If your interested to see, the Running Tests thread has the screen shots of webpage and test tool test results for the PAT Test (formally known as Connection Test) , which is test results I improved.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: UDP Test tool updated - again
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »
Well done Tim.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
I see HTTP/3 uses UDP instead of TCP as does HTTP/2. Was Tim Ring ahead of his time or has the internet decided to come into compliance with RailPro?  :P

tcp_udp.PNG
https://web.dev/content-delivery-networks/
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »
Was Tim Ring ahead of his time

No, he wasn't. HTTP/3 is (broadly) using QUIC (HTTP over UDP) as the underlying transport layer, which was initially developed by Google around 2012 (earliest page I can find for RailPro is 2011, but can't find a page for the first "internet access" program for RP) however there is significant differences in how the plain old UDP that Ring uses and QUIC / HTTP/3 operate. Maybe I should do a graphic  :D

Ring would have chosen UDP as it's very simple to program compared to TCP (though that actually isn't too hard these days), though you have to build in your own packet error checking else you will likely end up in a world of pain when it comes to transferring things like compiled code.

HTTP/3 as a file transfer method is something I'd like to experiment with but they aren't working on that part yet.

- Tim