Author Topic: How important to update LM-3S’s.  (Read 2399 times)

SWA737

• Engineer
How important to update LM-3S’s.
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:58:19 PM »
How important is it to update LM-3S & LM-2S’s. I have 42 of them and takes quit awhile to update things. Keeping my HC-2b & HC-2’s updated but not the decoders. The current sounds are good on my units so if updated sounds are the only things I’m missing, I’m ok with that for now. Please let me know if really need to take the time to update.
Thanks, Rob Cooper

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: How important to update LM-3S’s.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »
There have been many software updates, some of them are important. You'll want to do the updates Rob.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
Ok thanks Bill.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:22:12 AM »
As Bill mentioned updating LM's can be important, many of the updates fix bugs or add other desirable features besides sound.

I don't know if you bought a CI-1 or not but many of us bought one purely for doing updates. Updating 40 LM's  using a CI-1 shouldn't be too painful; plonk a piece of track and a 12v power supply next to your computer and update a few each night while your surfing, doing emails etc. You might be surprised and be through them quicker than you expect.

Edit: Thinking about this I wonder how hard it would be for Ring to develop an "all responding modules" or "all detected in the controller" update method. I had a pager at one stage that received updates OTA (Over The Air), they would simply push the update out over the air and each pager (thousands of them) that was powered would receive and update. Would make updating 40 modules a breeze  8)

- Tim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:28:22 AM by G8B4Life »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:31:37 AM »
When I'm doing updates, I like to use all my HC's and my CI-1. I get them all going and it really speeds things up.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Thankfully updating software versions on the LM's doesn't take too long.  You can likely get through them quicker than you think.  Loading prime mover files on the other hand.....

SWA737

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:55:24 PM »
Ok thanks Bill, Tim & Kevin. That all sounds good.