Author Topic: download issue  (Read 4119 times)

nortoneye

• Engineer
download issue
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:24:39 AM »
ok,  went to download new versions this morning...installed 4.01 RPA on laptop, laptop is connected to RE and HC-2 is connected to laptop, both are noted as "connected"....when attempting to load newer software on to the HC-2 I get either a "waiting for file size", "timed out" or "cannot connect" message.  I am unable to load anything from RPA to the HC-2  before I call Tim, any ideas??

FYI--I'm still paying 10 bucks per month extra to work around the GCNAT issue to connect to RE, hoping TR gets the new server that he mentioned in January online this year

jim
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:49:21 AM by nortoneye »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: download issue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:23 AM »
Contact Tim Ring as soon as you can and tell him you are having connection issues with the new version.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:02:36 AM »
update...so I rebooted the laptop-ver 2.09 for HC-2 "cannot read file from RE" but HC-2b update installed without a problem, hopefully the update from HC 2b will work on my HC-2

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:56:08 AM »
Which do you actually own? the HC-2 or HC-2b? or both? from memory it won't allow you to try and update the wrong firmware for the device so you can't download HC-2 rev 2.09 onto the HC-2b and you can't download HC-2b rev 2.09 onto the older HC-2.

FYI, I think he did put the new server online (or at least he did make changes to the old one), the ports have changed for the new version of RPA. Sadly, how the ports are used did not change, and that was the major part of the problem. If only I could work out one little programming problem I'd have a proxy/forwarder that could be used.

- Tim
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:06:49 AM by G8B4Life »

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:00:25 AM »
I have a HC-2 and the -2b update did not load on the -2, I may have hit the wrong line on the RE site (oops)   I am unable to get the 2.09  update to load, will call TR today

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
From your earlier post I'm gathering that you have done this but just checking did you enable the "Use Older HC-2 USB Drivers" button in RPA setup?

rpa401_enable_hc2_driver.png

Have you previously installed the drivers for the older HC-2? If not you'll need to download and install them separately (https://www.ringengineering.com/Software/HC-1UsbDriverInstaller.EXE)

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Tim

I did enable, but am not sure about the driver issue-I'll check that next

thanks

jim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
well, after a hour on the phone with TR and my ISP...I am no further along :(, so TR said he will send a link for me to download RPA v3.21 and roll with that for now.  No one seems to have an idea as to the problem.  I'm connected to RE, and see the files that are available, I can add them to the list to download on the right screen, the HC-2 is successfully connected to the laptop, but when hit the download button on HC-2, I get a "cannot connect" response.  TR used his HC-2 while we were talking and it worked for him.  We did uninstall and reinstall RPA with not change.  He did note that a file was not properly loaded on his end, but after that repair-no change. My ISP checked and said it was properly configured on their end...feels like deja vu all over again

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
I occasionally get the "Cannot connect" error when attempting to downlead through RPA. It has been that way from the beginning, although not as often lately. Try unplugging the controller and plug it back in again. You may have to do it several times to get a connection.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
whats' confusing is the HC-2 shows "connected" but get the error message when trying to download, same after several attempts...interestingly when TR was on the line we uninstalled the 4.01 and reinstalled the 3.21 and it works!   

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
well....I certainly are the problem child.  Reinstalling 3.21 did not fix the connection issue nor did trying a different port on the laptop or changing cables.  Downloading the HC simulator does work, so there is something either conflicting with the old drivers (which I did install) or the HC-2 itself.  I am going to send the HC-2 back to Ring and see what, if anything, is wrong in the unit.  If there is some conflict with drivers, that could be hard to find according to TR.  I doubt is anyone else has had this issue, but will certainly accept advice!

Jim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »
Just out of interest, did you try to download anything else other than the HC-2 firmware (like a picture or two) to see if downloading them worked? I imagine it wouldn't work but it's another data point in tackling the solution. While there could be something wrong with the HC-2 itself (and sending back to TR would find that out) I'm not 100% sure that there is, as the HC-2 is successfully detected.

Another question I forgot to ask is has downloading worked previously?

There is more tests that can be performed on our side if you want to, though I'll be out for the rest of today.

- Tim

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »
yes, was unable to download any file-tried photo and sound--again it works on the simulator, so at a loss to explain it.  it did work fine last year on 3.21-but not since 4.01 installed..even uninstalling 4.01 and reloading it along with the drivers did not fix the issue-will see if the HC-2 is the cause

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
Do you have a second cable to try?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 08:07:26 AM »
I think Jim tried another cable as he mentioned changing cables 3 posts back. It wouldn't be unheard of to have two faulty cables but I'd say it's a fairly rare occurrence.

Definitely more tests I'd like to run but I haven't had the time to check out how safe all the test software I'd like run is. This is sounding like the USB messages are not getting through from the HC to RPA. Whether that's a driver issue or if the HC is not sending the messages is what I'd like to find out.

Jim, another thing I should ask is: when you pressed the "download" button on the HC-2, did the RPA download list change at all like it was trying to download or the list section didn't change at all?

- Tim