Author Topic: Re: Scaletrains Dash9 Install  (Read 4730 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Scaletrains Dash9 Install
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:03:47 AM »
Kevin, I have a scaletrains Dash 9 that was done by one of my Customers, it has working steplights. You can see some photos of the internals here: on ebay
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:52:27 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Re: Scaletrains Dash9 Install
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Bill, that is a beautiful install on that Dash 9.  Very clean, and he did a great job putting the KA in unused space.  What I'm trying to figure out is if he just attached the ground lights to track power or if he used an output.  The pictures aren't clear on that. 

Also, how is the sound on it?  I'm debating whether or not I want to stick with the stock speaker location or try something totally stupid.

Might be better to start this on another thread so we don't clog up Ian's excellent work here.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:54:01 AM »
Kevin, the ground lights are on output number 4.

The sound on this unit is quite amazing.
I'll gather up the photos and post them here with a bit more info.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:54:24 AM by William Brillinger »

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
The photos - reposted with Orlando's permission.

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (4).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (5).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (6).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (7).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (9).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (10).jpg

ATSF 600 Scaletrains Install (11).jpg

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:03:00 AM by William Brillinger »

Orlando

• Fireman
Re: Re: Scaletrains Dash9 Install
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 04:56:08 AM »
Bill, that is a beautiful install on that Dash 9.  Very clean, and he did a great job putting the KA in unused space.  What I'm trying to figure out is if he just attached the ground lights to track power or if he used an output.  The pictures aren't clear on that. 

Also, how is the sound on it?  I'm debating whether or not I want to stick with the stock speaker location or try something totally stupid.

Might be better to start this on another thread so we don't clog up Ian's excellent work here.
Hello there kevin. Thank you for the kind words! The scaletrains models are fun to work on. As for the step lights, you can hook up all of them to 1 output. The headlights and the number boards go together on another output so when you turn on the headlights, the number boards turn too. Just  be careful with the step lights cuz the wiring is delicate. The speaker enclosure that scaletrains provides and the location where the enclosure slides into is awesome. The sounds coming from the double speakers are pretty good. Here a link to 1 my videos of a scaletrains gevo with the speakers a get from digikey.

Orlando

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 06:14:24 AM »
Orlando, nice installation, and that video clip is about as real looking as they get. Great sound from the Digitrax speakers too. 👍
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:04 PM »
Orlando, thanks for providing the pictures of your install.  Really clean and really nicely done.  It looked like the step lights were originally wired to track power, which is why I asked how you did it.  I almost always renumber my locomotives so I don't worry about the numberboard lights.  I do like how they redesigned their ditchlight lighting.....far better than the first run of ET44's.  I removed the factory lighting from my ET44 and replaced with nano LEDs.

The placement of the speaker housing is much better in the Dash 9 than in the ET44.  On the Tier 4 I felt it was too far to the rear and it was noticeable when the locomotive went by.  The Dash 9 speaker housing is right below the exhaust stack, which is perfect.  I should have a couple of speakers sitting around that are the right size, so I'll give those a shot.  My other thought was to try and shoehorn one of these in there by cutting it down and placing it diagonal: http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/t0-2008s.  I'd have to remove a huge chunk of the weight though.  Lots of bass on that speaker, but not a lot of volume.

Excellent video BTW.  The sound is great, especially the volume of the horn.  That's what drives me nuts about so many DCC sound decoders....you can't even tell the horn is playing.  Kills the immersion.

-Kevin

Orlando

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »
Orlando, nice installation, and that video clip is about as real looking as they get. Great sound from the Digitrax speakers too. 👍
Thank you! ✌

Orlando

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
Orlando, thanks for providing the pictures of your install.  Really clean and really nicely done.  It looked like the step lights were originally wired to track power, which is why I asked how you did it.  I almost always renumber my locomotives so I don't worry about the numberboard lights.  I do like how they redesigned their ditchlight lighting.....far better than the first run of ET44's.  I removed the factory lighting from my ET44 and replaced with nano LEDs.

The placement of the speaker housing is much better in the Dash 9 than in the ET44.  On the Tier 4 I felt it was too far to the rear and it was noticeable when the locomotive went by.  The Dash 9 speaker housing is right below the exhaust stack, which is perfect.  I should have a couple of speakers sitting around that are the right size, so I'll give those a shot.  My other thought was to try and shoehorn one of these in there by cutting it down and placing it diagonal: http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/t0-2008s.  I'd have to remove a huge chunk of the weight though.  Lots of bass on that speaker, but not a lot of volume.

Excellent video BTW.  The sound is great, especially the volume of the horn.  That's what drives me nuts about so many DCC sound decoders....you can't even tell the horn is playing.  Kills the immersion.

-Kevin
Thank you!