Author Topic: New user, poor experience  (Read 5153 times)

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
Re: New user, poor experience
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
I just put a Kato SD40-2 up yesterday, still waiting on LEDs  but sound works great. Using Kato unitrack in a 2ft X 7ft switch layout with lead ins.
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
Shorts vs. Loss of Power:
If you are using the RailPro Power module, it is easy to distinguish whether a loco stopped due to a short or whether it lost power (derailment, dirty wheels or track, etc.)
In both cases, the red warning light will show up on the HC-2.
If the Power unit LED stays green, you have a loss of power.
If the Power unit LED turns red, you have a short.

The_Dave

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 03:38:17 AM »
Hey guys! It’s 01:33AM and I’ve been thinking about my issue and I think I’ve had an Epiphany. I may just have figured what is causing my issue. I’m going to check my theory later this morning and I’ll get back to you. Sorry for the cliffhanger but I want to verify what I’m thinking first.

More to come!

The_Dave

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:37 AM »
Ok Fellers, things are a foot!

I’m confident I’ve found my problem(s)! I have two issues, one is a manufacturing fail and the other is self induced. The long and short (get it? Short!) of the issue is I was shorting at the frog. The other is best explained in the video....

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 03:54:31 AM »
Some good detective work there Dave.

I must say I wasn't expecting the points end (switch end to most of you) of the frog to have the issue, it's usually the other end however you can see how close the closure rails come to each other in the video, something you can't do with that blurry enlarged picture on the Atlas website.

- Tim

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
I have also struggled with Atlas turnouts, but I think I have finally got them all working.  Mine are code 100, so exact comparisons to yours are not possible.  However, I found that in addition to the frog problem, mine also had a problem with the guard rails -- the ones that hold the outer end of the axle close to the stock rail (and thus farther away from the oppositely-charged side of the frog).

The guard rails were too far from the stock rails.  You can use your NMRA guage to test yours.

I glued thin pieces of styrene to the outside of guard rails in order close the gap to NMRA standards.  This helped keep the wheels from touching both rails at the frog.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 06:40:27 PM »
Welcome Dave and glad that it appears that you have a fix. The group here is incredibly talented, intelligent, and more than willing to help. KPack converted a lot of us (me included) so welcome to the club!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org