Author Topic: Turnouts  (Read 1666 times)

Tophat3

• Fireman
Turnouts
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
Hello

Would like to know what kind of track people are using, but also a question about turnouts. Should I use power routeing or non power routing turnouts.

This will be a all railpro layout 4x24 layout, in HO.

Thanks

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Turnouts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »
My layout is exclusively Walthers Shinohara track and switches. The switches are the 4 digit part number prefix DCC friendly versions, not the latest Walthers reincarnation. Although brand doesn't really matter. It is a personal choice.

I would advise you to use non-power routing switches. Power routing at the switch is convenient and simplifies wiring on very simplistic track plans. It can be a real headache with more complex track arrangements.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
I use Peco Code 75 on my layout. All of the Code 75 turnouts are "Electro-Frog" which, experience shows, are power routing. Other than having to make sure you have insulating rail joints on the frog end where needed and the subsequent power drops, I've had no issues.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
Clarification: I meant adding in subsequent power feeds, not that the power drops out when adding insulators.

Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »
While we are clarifying: The necessity of insulated joiners at every switch is what I meant by a headache.

Can you imagine trying to replicate this on a model railroad with insulted joiners?

track.PNG
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Tophat3

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.

I have been reading here steady for several  months now and am currently getting parts and supplies  lined up.

Thanks again!