Author Topic: Sound  (Read 2775 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Sound
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:00:28 PM »
A thought of interest?  I see sound modules on eBay that are for adding to DCC decoders. Could they be used with a RailPro module that does not have sound?  I have a number of older modules that do not have sound and surely would like to know the answer. Cheers, TOP in Yuma AZ

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Sound
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
Links??

Most likely not. Without seeing any info I'd hazard guess that the sound modules are DCC devices themselves. Indeed way back when sound first came to DCC it was one of the only ways to get it; a motor plus function decoder and a separate sound decoder and you "locked" them together with the same DCC address.

If you post some links to the sound modules we could take a better look. I'm not aware of any stand alone sound modules that don't integrate with a motor plus function decoder as explained above but I don't keep on top of the industry either.

- Tim

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:15:57 AM »
Tim.   The listing is    "HO 16-Bit Sound-Only Decoder with built in Speaker - Sounder Diesel. Condition is New. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.
It has six prime mover diesel sounds. EMD645E, EMD645, EME710, ALCO244, ALCO539T, EMD567. Compact design fits all HO locos".    Also it has a listing price of $20.  TOF

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:21:36 AM »
Well I was correct, it is a DCC decoder. This is the product at the manufacturers website: http://xlsystemsdcc.com/product/ho-dcc-diesel-sound-only-decoder-with-built-in-18mm-speaker/.

So unfortunately Daryl it is of little use to add sound to your older modules, RP will just not be able to configure and control it, plus any business that offers a warranty of only 6 months throws red flags up for me.

- Tim

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
On another sound note  :P  is there any way to add random horn sound to a module?

KiloWhiskey

• Engineer
  • Kevin W.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 11:41:19 PM »
I think there is a sound creator /editor/uploader on the RP assistant page, under accessory projects...
Kevin

In my defense, I was left unsupervised....

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:49 AM »
You can create your own sounds, but not random ones.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.