Author Topic: off-topic history question  (Read 1483 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
off-topic history question
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
sorry for the off-topic question.

I am removing some ancient DCC decoders from my locos as I install LM's.

I removed one yesterday that has no markings on it, and it pre-dates the NMRA wire color standard.  I want to toss these old decoders in as freebies with the first-generation Marklin gear I'm selling on ebay so someone can get some use (albeit limited function-wise) out of them.

four of the wires were connected as follows: black, right track; white, left track; blue, right motor; red, left motor.

now the part I don't fully understand:  yellow and orange were each connected to one lead of an incandescent light bulb.  the second lead of one bulb was connected to right rail, and the second lead of the other bulb was connected to left rail.  does this make sense?  I have sold all the Marlkin control boxes so I have no way to do any further testing.

I want to be as accurate as possible with the wiring instructions for whoever ends up with these decoders to they aren't wasted.

thanks!

ken

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: off-topic history question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Sounds like directional lighting.

Use the same wiring description you typed here on your eBay listing. It is clearly written.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

faithie999

• Conductor
Re: off-topic history question
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »
thanks!