Author Topic: iphone4s speakers [recovered topic]  (Read 10605 times)

hirailer

• Engineer
Re: iphone4s speakers [recovered topic]
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
I tried mounting the iphone speaker under the locomotive shell with no appreciable improvement in sound quality. I had to relocate the speaker several times so that it would not contact the chassis components.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »
to get a speaker to use the shell as part of it's "noisemaker" you would have to use ACC, CA, or Plastic Solvent to glue it in place, using any sort of rubbery compound like silicone will acoustically insulate it from the shell.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »
I just learned that Rapido uses the iphone 4s speaker in their GMD1 locomotives. Who Knew?

2016-02-02 iphone speaker conversation.JPG

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

LW93Rcode

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 08:30:23 PM »
Yeah I saw one in someone's YouTube review awhile back.  Pretty interesting!  I just installed a loksound decoder in a GP40.  I had gotten a sugar cube to go with it, but the GP40 already had the 4S in it from a previous install, so I left it to try it out. It sounds so good I doubt I'll pull it apart to install the sugar cube.  Hard to beat when they can be had for a $1 or less.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
The 4s speakers sell on EBay in the range of $2-$5, with or without the antenna. I think I paid $3 each for mine. Has anyone compared the cheaper ones with the more expensive ones? Are they the same?
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

LW93Rcode

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »
Guess the price has been going up.  I bought 10 for 10.00 on eBay from somewhere in NY a year and a half ago.  I did see a few eBay sellers doing 5 at $5 and free shipping from china. 

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 12:47:20 AM »
I purchased 10 iphone speakers in November 2015 for $.99 each, free shipping. I am very happy with the sound quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180994998115?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:52 AM »
Has anyone tried to shorten an iPhone speaker with any success? These things are just a bit too long for some things which is a shame.

I did cut one down in length but whatever plastic it's made from I couldn't get my glue to stick a new end on so I couldn't see if shortening
it would make a big impact on sound quality.

I now have some iPad Touch speakers coming. These are self contained and ported like the iPhone speakers but appear to be much smaller. I'll report on those when I get them.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
If you cut the speaker down, you'll likely lose sound quality, but you can just pack the hole with caulking.

Here's what the insides look like:

iPhone 4s speaker.jpg

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »
Due to the length of time it takes for these to come from China, for those who are interested in these speakers, I am now offering the iPhone 4s speaker for sale in 4 packs for $6 per pack on PDC.CA. You can find them on the railpro page.

http://pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/railpro-and-accessories/51

Cheers!

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »
Good show Bill.  I have yet to try these out, but all the talk about them has me wanting to give them a shot.  I still have a few sugar cube speakers to use up first though. 

-Kevin