Author Topic: New RPT-1 Radio Repeater Accounced September 17, 2024  (Read 569 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
New RPT-1 Radio Repeater Accounced September 17, 2024
« on: September 17, 2024, 10:52:34 AM »
New RPT-1 Radio Repeater announced today!

I checked with Ring, and they confirm that the RPT-1 works with any HC.

RPT-1 works with all RailPro Products.
Your HC-2 and HC-2b need to be at Rev 2.52 or newer to use RPT-1. HC-3 needs to be at Rev 1.09 or newer.

https://ringengineering.com/RPT-1.htm

From Ring's website:

Add this low cost radio repeater to your RailPro Layout to add extended Radio Range and improved radio coverage!  You can use multiple RPT-1 to extend the radio range of a RailPro Handheld Controller to hundreds of feet!

All Radios (including Bluetooth and WiFi) suffer from multipath distortion.  This is where a radio wave can bounce off an object and come back and combine with the original signal in a way that it degrades the signal.  This typically can cause small angles to have dead spots. By adding a RailPro Radio Repeater you can eliminate this radio problem completely.

Radio Repeater Drawing.jpg

PowerRptRev2.jpg

Available for pre-order now on PDC.CA, or from your favorite retailer.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 10:57:11 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: New RPT-1 Radio Repeater Accounced September 17, 2024
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 02:40:19 PM »
Can this be used with any usb wall wart? Like say the ones that come with cell phones? I have a couple of those kicking around.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 07:52:25 PM »
Can this be used with any usb wall wart? Like say the ones that come with cell phones? I have a couple of those kicking around.

Based on the FAQ on the product page, I would say "Yes."
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2024, 11:43:37 PM »
Yes, it should be able to be used with any wall wart.  I'm pretty sure they all have about the same power output.

I've been testing the RPT-1 and it works well.  I think this is a good solution for guys operating on someone else's layout, a club layout, or Freemo.  If you're concerned about signal being lost, or are in a saturated area (show), then throwing a couple of these things around the space is simple and works great.  Either put them in a wall wart or in a cell phone battery pack.

Or if you want to increase the signal on your own layout without adding a much more expensive PWR-56, these are a simple solution.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:21:12 AM »
I flagged a new product called RPT back in July: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1624.0.html. Why it did not click that RPT would stand for repeater back then I don't know.

Still, should be quite helpful and something we've wanted for quite some time.

- Tim