Author Topic: Railpro lights circuit  (Read 5299 times)

Carter

• Fireman
Railpro lights circuit
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:47 PM »
Can anyone give the Railpro lights circuit voltages on the decoders? I want to install LEDs forward and reverse. Also recommendations on resister values if needed. And LEDs recommendations.

Thanks Carter

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Railpro lights circuit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:00:05 AM »
We discussed this in this thread. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,189.msg1014.html#msg1014. It's about half a volt lower than the power applied to the LM from the track, so if your supplying 14.5v from a PWR-56 then the outputs will be ~14v.

A suitable resistor would be simple to find using Ohms law.

Assuming ~3.5v voltage drop across a white LED then 14v - 3.5v = 11.5v. 11.5v / .02 (20 milliamps) = 525 ohms. Closest value that is larger is 560 ohms so 560 ohm 1/2 watt would suffice - just. Go a larger value (in ohms) for more headroom, your LED's will only be slightly dimmer.

Generally I just use 1k (1,000 ohm) resistors regardless as modern white LED's are plenty bright enough with them and it gives a good margin for power fluctuations.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
A little testing of resistor values prior to installation is advised. Depending upon the application, many LEDs are way too bright when operated at near full forward current. For instance, number boards in a loco. They shouldn't beam like headlights. Don't be surprised to find you may have to go way up in resistor value to get a realistic lighting level. I have some LEDs using as high as a 22K resistor. Also be aware different color LEDs of the same family may have different brightness with the same resistor value.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
Thank you Alan and Tim for your reply.

I just ordered some diodes SMD 0402 Warm White. Tim from your reply I am guessing the LM-2 light circuit is track voltage + - some.

With that information It really is what brightness one likes for headlights and ditch lights etc etc. I do have plenty resistors and will play around with the LEDS.

YOUTUBE IS WHAT GOT ME STARTED WITH HEAD LIGHTS. AT 1.02 MINUTES IN. i CANNOT FIND THESES ON EBAY? LOOKS EASY TOO.
t=61s

Carter

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
0402 are really small to solder to. Pre-wired is much easier to work with as was discussed on another thread. Have a look at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172046338387 I ordered some a while back. Expecting their arrival soon.

Personal preference of course, but I see a lot of pure white LEDs (6-6.5K) installed in model locomotives that would have been built before the advent of luminaries capable of producing such blue white light. Most locomotive lamps should be a littler warmer temperature to be accurate (4.5-5.5K). Look at a real locomotive headlamp on a sunny day. Compared to sunlight the loco lamp is a redder yellower color yet on so many models I see intense blue white sunlight temperature lamps. If that sort of thing matters to you.

Do the current calculations once you settle in on a resistor value. You may be able to use 1/4W or even 1/8W resistor for a more compact installation.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
I agree with Alan 100%.  Warm White LED's, prewired, use 1/4W 1K Ohm resistors.  Get some from Evan Designs online if you want them sooner than Ebay.  I've been placing LEDs for a few years now and I've been very happy with the look that these LEDs give me.

-Kevin

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Kevin and Allen thanks for the info just what I needed. I am using the LEDs that cam with the loco, Stewart V-1000, and installed a 1000 ohm (990) in the blue line and white and yellow to the lights. Work like a champ. Not too bright in daylight but with lites off may be just right. Painted the loco John Deere green and will complete the assembly soon.

A little challenging fitting all LM-# and wire and axle resister (1/4w) in,  it works great.

First installation for the light circuit and my fourth LM-3 install. I used a Bachmann GE 70 Ton bought off Ebay but had broken drive shaft U-Joints. Seller did not know they were broken. Coupling had spit/craked on the drive shaft from motor and off the worm gear drive. Epoxy the the pieces and heat shrink a small piece over the coupling end and back in business, runs fine.

Carter TRAIN_085480x180 (1).png

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
Another picture of CE 70 Ton LM-3 conversion.

Carter  TRAIN_091480x180.png

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
Nice conversion to RailPro. It's nice to know a module will fit in one of these.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
Yes LM fit with a little modification to the lead weight.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished engine. Bachmann 70 ton.

I left in the original PC board for the lights. The lights are on all the time with track power, no modifications needed.

Note: I needed to file down the lead weight  starting near the 9 pin plug for clearance. Removing the original PC board will give enough room so not need remove some of the lead weight.

IMG_2031480x180.png
IMG_2031480x180.png

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:54:37 PM by Carter »