Author Topic: Testing lm-3s without installing.  (Read 3966 times)

carpediem4570

• Fireman
  • Back into HO after a 50 year hiatus.
Testing lm-3s without installing.
« on: October 04, 2022, 12:41:18 AM »
Good evening all:

I purchased four lm-3s and two lm-2s new, unused but previously owned from eBay.

I would like to test them before hard wiring the loco.  Can I use a nine volt battery as a power source and wire it to the pick-up leads or does it need to wire to the motor leads?

If nine volt battery doesn’t work, can someone recommend an alternative temporary power supply.

Kind regards,

Max

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Testing lm-3s without installing.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 12:52:58 AM »
9v battery should be fine for just testing that they work / respond. You'll get a low voltage warning of course.

Yes, the battery would be hooked up to the pick up leads. Hooking the battery up to the motor leads of the LM would probably not be healthy for the LM.

As per my response to your other thread, a wall wart can be used if the 9v battery isn't up to the job as long as the precautions I gave there are followed.

- Tim

carpediem4570

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 03:40:21 AM »
Thanks Tim:

I appreciate all the info.  Things certainly have changed since the last time I ran a train;45 years ago. 

Second childhoods and semi retirement is starting to look good.

Kind regards,

Max

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »
I re-read the OP's post and concluded that he meant to ask "do I also need to connect a motor for testing, or just the battery is sufficient?"
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

carpediem4570

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 01:32:20 PM »
Correct.

I take it I don’t need to connect the motor.  If I hook up the track leads to the power source, that should be sufficient to program horn, whistle and steam sounds to the module.

Here is another thought, can I connect the track leads of the module to the pwr56 and program the module.

Oooh, this is soooo much fun😄😄

Kind regards,

Max