Author Topic: WANTED: Nathan P3 Horn  (Read 6636 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
WANTED: Nathan P3 Horn
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »
My beloved Rock Island used the Nahan P3 in my era of modeling. Does anyone have such a sound file? Or is there one already installed? I'm on the road and not able to check.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

melarson

Re: WANTED: Nathan P3 Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
A quick check of the Ring website shows no Nathan P3 in the list.  They do list a Nathan 3 Chime, but don't know if that is what you're looking for.  If not, hopefully someone will have one they can share.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
I listened to the sound files Ring has from MicroPrecision and quite frankly it isn't even close. The old cast P3/5's sound entirely different than the new cast Nathan horns. There are several old recordings and even new recordings of old horns but I'm not sure how to get those into my LM modules.

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:28:59 PM »
Where are these recordings you are referring to? Perhaps we can work together to make it for you.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »
Jacob - the "Nathan 3 Chime" file that Ring has is pretty much a K3LA...it sounds like a near match to the K3LA's on BNSF dash 9's in my area.  The other Nathan recordings are indeed from MicroPrecision (who currently makes the Nathan line) but they seem to be all of modern make.  They also sound like they were recorded in a recording studio, rather than outdoors as there is no reverb or echoing.  I tend to prefer a good outdoor recording myself.

If you are looking for a specific horn (old cast vs new cast, etc) then you have a couple of options.  Best would be to find someone that has one of those horns and record it yourself.  That way the recording can be distributed to all Railpro users without copyright issues.  The second option would be to find a good recording of the horn you are looking for online (train sim websites or Youtube) and turn that recording into something Railpro can use.  This requires a converter to get the sounds from Youtube, and also an editing program like Audacity (free) to edit the recordings for Railpro.  With this second option you will not be able to share the recording as it is not yours.  If I understand copyright laws correctly (and I may be mistaken here) you can use someone else's recording for your own use, but not for distribution. 

To create a horn file for Railpro you need to create three files: 1.) start, 2.) loop, 3.) end.  Using Audacity you can cut the horn blast recording into those three.  Start and end are easy enough.  Getting the loop right is hard.  You have to edit that part in a way that the file can be looped on itself without hearing any clicking, popping, or obvious signs of the file looping over itself.  It's not easy to do.  Ring does a great job with it on their horn recordings.  I've done some, but it is hit or miss for me.  Once you have the files, open up Railpro Assistant and create a new sound file, then load up the files you've created and your're done.

I made this horn recording for my own use off a Youtube video/recording:

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
With this second option you will not be able to share the recording as it is not yours.  If I understand copyright laws correctly (and I may be mistaken here) you can use someone else's recording for your own use, but not for distribution.

Kevin has missed one important option:
You can share it with the great community if you get permission from the person who created the original recording.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:08:17 AM »
Where are these recordings you are referring to? Perhaps we can work together to make it for you.

Bill:

Here is an SP one

Another:

HLCX:
And this one sounds good!!!!

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Jacob,

It's unfortunate that the HLCX video has the bells from the crossing in it.

If you had to pick one or two moments from these videos that showcase the sound you are looking for, what moments would that be? (which video and timestamp?)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:37:40 AM »
how's this one?

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:55 AM »
Bill,

That sounds GREAT!

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »
Sorry I never followed up on this Jacob, somehow I missed the reply.

I have contacted the owner of the video for permission to post an edited copy of the audio for use with model trains.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 10:02:13 PM »
Bill,
That's great and no worries. I've been working on my module lately and only today picked up a locomotive to work on. I'm sure I'll do some fiddling once my  CI-1 arrives.

Jacob
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

Davidbross

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 10:06:37 AM »
Did a free file ever get posted?  That last recording is great. All kinds of reverb, pitch shifting, close, far away, and minimal background noise.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 01:02:27 PM »
I never got a reply from the owner of the video.
If anyone can get permission we can make a horn loop from it to post.