Author Topic: Sound Familiar?  (Read 15879 times)

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Sound Familiar?
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
I used to visit MRH regularly but now only occasionally with today being one of those occasions. Had a good chuckle with this:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30650

... A modern DCC system should in this day have a touch screen interface for programming and setting up the system. It would also help for things we do during an operating session such as setting up and breaking down a consist.  It should also have a simple on and off.  All of these would improve the interface to something reasonable for today.  I should not have to press three buttons while standing on one leg just to get the system to turn on. 

A modern system should have a default built in computer interface.

A modern system should come with LCC built in. 

A modern system should be wireless to the hand sets and these hand sets should never have to be plugged in.  These handsets should have an easy and obvious way to be turned on and off.  And they should show you what Decoder number they are running.  (I don't care how) as a person should be able to see what engine a handset is running not have to guess,  I have seen some set down a handset and pick up the wrong one way two often.  Hundreds or thousands of dollars of potential damage should not rest on "guessing" what engine is set to what handset.

A modern system should have the ability to put receivers for the wireless handsets at various locations as the room size/shape and interference can make one receiver not enough.

A modern System should have a reasonable ergonomic hand set available

A modern system does NOT need wired handsets. ...

Now, where have I seen that?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Sound Familiar?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
wow, there's nothing like that that I've heard of.

Oh, wait there is!!!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
Must have been posted by one of our guys.  :D  Funny thing is...it's all true!  :)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:39:45 PM »
Ha, that is awesome.  I'm amazed that people continue to stick with DCC.  I guess there's nothing like controlling a train with something akin to a 90's era Texas Instruments calculator! 

So is anyone going to respond to the thread with the obvious?

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
Yes, Please do post! and give a plug for the group!

In fact, everybody should jump in  :)

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
 Wow !   What an opportunity to make waves on that website. I hate to be the first one but then I have an asbestos suit that hasn't seen any action in a long time. I might take a chance after one of the fellers here, starts the fire or so to speak?

Stand up and testify..

The old fardt in Yuma.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »
Someone should post this image as a reply. No words, just the image.  8)

HC-2.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »
Done.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:41:54 PM »
 Well, who or whom is next?

Just have to see if there is any response on the other site? Who am I kidding?

Just having phun and you?

Darryl in Arid-Zone

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 07:03:02 AM »
Well played Alan (and Kevin). Well played.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
I hate to be the first one but then I have an asbestos suit that hasn't seen any action in a long time.

Darryl, good thing you have that suit. The DCC crowd really dig their heels in when challenged. Drink plenty of water.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:11 AM »
I almost responded yesterday when I read the forum at MRH. Decided not to start a flame war so didn't. The responses you guys made were very well thought out comments and didn't destroy any other systems. Straight forward to what the strengths are for RailPro, I salute you. 

TomO

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »
I'm surprised the naysayers and bashers without anything else to say but "it's not for me" and "It's not DCC" haven't turned up in droves yet to our responses.

I'm really really surprised someone from the US mentioned the ESU ECoS system. From what I saw a couple of years ago it's quite impressive but boy if people think the cost of RailPro is high compared to DCC then they might not want to look and see what ECoS costs!

Interesting post though, contained some very good points. It shows the state of laurel resting instead of innovation on the part of North American DCC system manufacturers.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
Darryl, good thing you have that suit.

Darryl, I may need to borrow that suit.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Darryl, I may need to borrow that suit.

Nice one pointing out the proprietary in DCC Bill. I seem to recall making a small rant about that being my #1 beef here not long ago and there you go, less than a week later someone pulls that myth out of the hat. Might point out that DCC decoders are propriety too, as long as it responds to the NMRA DCC signal and has at least the minimum quotient of NMRA CV's you can do whatever else you like with them which can be proprietary, which they have (transponding, RailCom, high CV's etc).

- Tim