Author Topic: RailPro mentioned on Ken Patterson's Video-Podcast  (Read 2625 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
RailPro mentioned on Ken Patterson's Video-Podcast
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
The September 30th What's Neat video podcast has a short discussion about RailPro.

This video podcast features Ken Patterson, Daniel Coombs, Mike Budde, Chris Palomerez, Larry Horn, and Dirk Renolds.

Chris Palomerez is a significant player at Athearn, and he is clearly impressed.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: RailPro mentioned on Ken Patterson's Video-Podcast
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:52:24 AM »
The RailPro discussion begins at 13:02.

Of note, I have an old module that I built almost 30 years ago with cork roadbed and it's still holding up fine. On the other hand, when we began building Free-mo modules back in 2008 we were using foam as a base for the track as it was all the rage. In less than two years over half were scrapped or had to be rebuilt. Foam shrinks and when it does it pulls curves out of alignment. Why guys continue to lay track over an unstable product that is 2% thermally unstable and also out gases permanently is beyond me.

But perhaps Athearn RailPro + DCC equipped locos are on the horizon. Chris is also one of the founders of US Free-mo and is well aware of the complexities of setting up a DCC modular layout.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Shame they bunny trailed away so fast. The RP topic disappeared as quickly as it began even though many of the mentioned bunny trail points are the problems RP solves. A couple times I thought Chris was going to bring it back on topic and connect all the dots for the viewer. But alas, that didn't happen. Maybe next time.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
Alan, the same thing happens with our group during our monthly meetings which are held over food and drink. The topics have a tendency to bounce like a ping pong ball with the attention span of a first grader. Perhaps some feedback to 'stay on point' a little more might help.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
I called Tim Rings attention to the mention on What's Neat and apparently Ken Patterson called Tim shortly after. According to this weeks podcast, RailPro will be getting a closer look on What's Neat in the near future...

The discussion this week starts at about 12:16, but watch from the start to hear how it took Ken 3 hours to setup his new CSX consist for DCC in DecoderPro. (Scaletrains, Intermountain and Athearn units)

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »
3 hours!!!! By someone with a lot of experience. What happens when he decides to consist them with other locomotives. Another 3 hours?

The DCC crowd can jet their carburetors all they want. I prefer turn the key computer controlled fuel injection.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
We continue to get mentions on Ken's podcast...

This time right at the beginning: