Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 77659 times)

Mr. E

• Fireman
  • My Cool Trains!
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2020, 06:05:22 AM »
Welcome Trainman605!  I am new to Railpro as well and my stuff just arrived two days ago.  I am preparing to install into one engine and learn the process.  I ordered sugar cube speakers from Litchfield Station.  However the post office has my package at the local hub and they keep changing my delivery date.  It is frustrating.  Now I have to wait until the weekend to start.  Best of luck with your G scale install!  I think we both made the right choice with Railpro.
- Eli
Railpro on Dead Rail on Modular Layout.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2020, 06:13:42 AM »
Hello ya'll,
I am Emery from the Mansfield, Tx area.  My railroad is in the beginning stages and have a RP kit with many modules still in boxes for almost a year now.  Progress is happening, but still awhile before the electronics will be installed.
Thank you for allowing me to join this fine group.

Emery, welcome! I'm up the road in Keller. There's a small group of us (Keller, Colleyville, and Haslet) who use RP and have some experience with it. We'd be happy to add Mansfield to the list!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2020, 06:15:28 AM »
I don't think I introduced myself and I'm been around for a month or two. Older guy living in Ft. Worth, Texas. I have been into G scale for 30 years (collecting mainly LGB American engines and rolling stock, I have never built a layout in G Scale, but have a layout in HOn3 modeling the D&RGW NG. I have started with selling some of my LGB on eBay and purchasing newer stuff, that is thinning my G gauge to build a more manageable railroad and use all that I now have, in other words clean out the closet to have a more manageable railroad. I need to say here I'm not a collector, I'm a modeler and I re-build, re-due all my engines and rolling stock to give it that detailed and re-painted to my own railroad, the Ft. Worth & South-Western, an intercity railroad that serves local Ft. Worth and the Stockyards back in the early 40's. I haven't decided if my layout will be outside, or inside, but being a modeler and liking my stuff detailed I'm pretty sure it will be inside. I've spend too much time on re-dues to have them subject to dealing with the elements outside. Like I said, I'm a modeler first and a runner second.
I guess the reason that I'm on this forum is to gain information on RailPro, I will say here I only looked at two systems, AirWire and RailPro, after much input on both I decided to go with RailPro. I have purchased my first RailPro stuff from Don at RCS of New England and it is in the process of being shipped to me as we speak, (11-29-2020). I purchased the complete system and one module for one engine, I'm planning on doing installs on three engines at this time, but will start with one and learn the process then add more installs in time. That's about it for now. 

trainman

Welcome from Keller! If you need any assistance don't hesitate to ask. I'm near the Alliance area.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2020, 06:17:49 AM »
We have a RailPro users map and if you'd like to be added reply and I'll make sure it happens.

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,397.0.html
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

Highball-HeavyMountain

• Fireman
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2021, 03:28:44 AM »
Hello,

My name is Brian - I just started in g scale a few weeks ago and picked up RP battery power from Don Sweet of RCSofNE. I live in Southern California and performed the install myself for the RP unit and battery/charger kit.

Im an experienced N scaler, but because I have two small children, I think g scale garden railroading is a lot more immersive for them with all the sounds and smoke and I’m less stressed about them breaking everything they touch. G scale seems so durable compared to n scale!

Also loving dead rail and radio control. It was quite a bit of research to figure out what I needed to do, but I’m really glad to have found rail pro. I wish DCC were this easy. It’s hard to go back to n scale now.

I’m running a bachmann annie, LGB mogul and bunch of DRGW LGB and bachmann stuff. Hoping to get into 1:20.3, but parts start to get delicate which is not a good combo with toddlers.

Brian

Short Circuit

• Brakeman
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »
Hello everyone,
My name is Mark and I am in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I have always loved trains and recently am in the process of building an indoor G scale layout. While all the trackwork is basically finished and I do run trains, I got tired of only being able to control one train at a time.
After researching DCC systems and deciding on the system that would suit me best, I stumbled upon KPack's Railpro videos and after more research I decided that Railpro is the system for me.
I found a dealer in my neck of the woods so everything is ordered except a power supply(that's another topic I will research here in the correct forum) and will hopefully be in by the end of the week.
Looking forward to switching my locos to Railpro and thank you for accepting me into this forum !!

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:26 PM »
Welcome Brian, Mark and Joel W.

Joel W, I've moved your post from Introduce yourself to the RailPro Discussion & Help board (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1133.0.html) so people can answer your questions as it's own thread.

- Tim
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:29:54 PM by G8B4Life »

t4hrtrh

• Brakeman
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »
Greetings to all, My name is Tom I live in Sunny FL. I decided a year ago to convert to RP having had Airwire for 20 years. I am into Large Scale. A friend of mine from CT had RP and showed it to me. I was impressed enough to want to explore the product. I asked him where he purchased it. He told me Don Sweet. Funny thing I know Don having meet him at various train shows. I called Don and talked to him  for about 2 hours picking his brain about the system. I then went to Ring's web site and read all the manuals and watched a few videos on youtube. After all that I decided to buy the product and convert one of my GP38's that was waiting to be converted to Airwire. I figured if it isn't up to my standards I would rip it all out and sell it on eBay. Well long story short you would have to rip that controller out of my hand over my dead body.
I have since converted 12 Diesels, changed over my switch control to use the AM-1's. I am now starting the steam and the Hudson is
on the clock. All the bench work was completed. I had a few bumps in the road and Tim and I talked them over and got the issues fixed.
Customer support is great. Tim even made a hardware design change to the G scale version to better accommodate overheating issues I was having.

Tom

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2021, 02:57:38 PM »
Hi Tom. My story is similar; I had an older R/C system that was too limiting and new boards were no longer available. I looked closely at AirWire and RailPro. After using AirWire at a friend's layout I decided that the controller was not for me. Don Sweet had been trying to convince me to try RailPro for years, so I did a small step into RailPro with one module and the PC interface. Another friend loaned me an HC-2 to play with. Within a month I was sold and have converted 5 of my Fn3 locos plus added RP to a caboose for sound and light effects!

Shadowbruf

• Fireman
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:15 PM »
My name is Mike. I am somewhat of a newbie, so please take my questions with a grain of salt. I've worked in the pharmaceutical discovery-manufacturing industry as chemist / chemical engineer / mgr for > 30+ yrs. I retired in 2010, moved to far northern WI, and took up woodturning as a hobby. 

My history with model trains started in the late 1950's with American Flyer on an L-shaped layout (2 -4x8's) that my dad built. I set up track and wiring over ~18 months. We built elevated sections out of scrap wood that my dad salvaged from cutting window shades (circular rods and flat pieces). We ran 4 separate engines. Eventually, I packed these up and took these with me as I grew and moved. I set them up for my young son, on the basement floor several times.

In 1987, I took the next step into HO (DC only). My system grew, culminating in a U-shaped layout (~4-4x8's)(3-separate tracks, no scenery) that my son and I enjoyed. The unit had ~ 6 turnouts and 1 - wye reversing loop. Wiring was done using Atlas switches, snap relays, selectors, and controllers.  Eventually, I packed everything up after another move and decided to sell everything (Too much life and work).

My current state-of-affairs:  In Sept 2020, I got the itch to get back into HO, trying to learn as much about DCC and various manufacturers, before making the DCC plunge. After reading multiple books, magazines, and viewing multiple websites and videos on DCC, I decided to start assembling my thoughts on a rough layout using AnyRail, designing a track plan and laying out wiring for a bus to deliver power to the track(s), ~ 6-8 turnouts, associated dwarf signals, and a layout control panel.

Around early Jan 2021 I pleasantly discovered MRH. During my readings, I stumbled across the RailPro system from Ring Engineering. In early Feb 2021, I stumbled across RPUG. After reading all of the Ring Engineering documentation / installation manuals on the various components and reviewing posts on RPUG,  I came to the following conclusions (opinions), which I hope are reasonably correct.

1)   DCC is a very tried and true system, supported by most manufacturers, and standardized (NMRA) within the industry.

2)   RailPro seems to be a less complex approach that supplies electrical equipment /components integrating an easy to understand graphical user interface / software system.
a)   RailPro is a small company and although the system is growing, it still would benefit from wider usage / acceptance.
b)   Costs seem to be comparable.
c)   RailPro and perhaps newer systems/software under development, may point to the next generation of control which makes it easier (knowledge wise) for the consumer to get into the hobby and setup a system more complex than a circle.

3)   My opinion today is that although DCC is dated, but it works. It still requires a pretty good knowledge investment to become proficient. This current nexus of the 2 systems (RailPro and DCC) sort of reminds of my experiences assembling lab data recording and control devices in our chemistry lab around 1985-1994 using PLC controllers. Not impossible, but it required a good knowledge base and skill set. Acceptance and use by non-skilled people was problematic. Around 1995-1996, we began to assemble PC based data recorders with plug-in cards, which had an easy to use Windows interface to configure setups of inputs, recording, and data file output. Pretty much we had to get out the way as our people flocked to use these devices.

I have read the Ring Engineering manuals. I know my learning curve would go up exponentially if I could just "play" with some stuff and wires, but I have yet to commit to take the RailPro plunge.  FYI - I am at least 100 miles away from any RailPro hobbyshop. I would greatly benefit from any videos, from real world users, who may videos on the following topics: My apologies in advance if these areas have been addressed somewhere visually, I just have not found them.

1)   PWR-56 Model Railroad Power Supply - actual installation, bus layout, wiring, programming and usage of 2-3 power supplies.

2)   AM-1 RailPro Accessory Module - Actual installation, wiring, programming and usage of ~6-8 turnouts (2-AM-1's) incorporating Tortoise switch machines, local dwarf led signals, and feedback to a central led lighted board.

3)   AR-1 Auto Reverse Module - Actual installation, wiring, programming of a wye.

Thanking the RPUG in advance for welcoming me and for any information you can provide.

Mike

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Hello, Mike.
 Welcome to the group and you will find the answers to your questions within this group. We have many talented people who share their knowledge freely and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Lord knows I have asked my share of those but someone always come forth with a solution to my problems.
 I have been in the group about two years but only bought my equipment a year or so ago. The site host has a hobby shop i. Both the US and Canada and Bill Brillinger offers very good pricing on his goods. His website is pdc.ca. Give his site a look.
 I am in north central Ohio and I can relate to no Railpro dealers  close by, so ?i order mine from our host.
 Railpro is fairly simple but can present a few problems along the way.
 To answer the three questions you asked, the PWR-56 is simply two wires, two wires ( the buss) out. Even I could wire this with no problems
 The AR-1 reverse module is the same, two in, two out.
  I have no experience with the AM-1.
  There are several electronics hobbyists on the site who will join in, Alan and Tim.
  Hope this helps.
Cecil
Cecil
ATSF

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »
mike--from a fellow retired Pharma industry chemical engineer (in Indiana), I would wholeheartedly endorse the RailPro system over DCC.  I have used both and RailPro is more straightforward and intuitive.  there is lots of chatter on the other forums dissing RailPro, but mostly because they don't understand it and they have a large investment in DCC.

I would suggest you make post asking for advice and helpful tips in getting started in the "RailPro Discussion and Help" section.  it's my sense that more people frequent that area of the site.  there are very knowledgeable folks here that are all willing to help.

as for acquiring RailPro equipment, my advice is to patronize this site's sponsor, Bill Brillinger, who runs a shop in Canada.  his website is pdc.ca.  he supplies the full line of RailPro gear, at probably the best prices you'll find, plus free shipping.

a specific recommendation I'd make, that Alan (one of the gurus here) made to me--use DPDT switches to control your Tortoise machines rather than an AM-1.  it's a lot easier to throw a switch than using the HC-2 (leave the screen for your loco, go to the AM-1 screen, scroll to the turnout you want to throw, then back to your loco screen).  you could always take the hybrid approach if you have a turnout or two that is remote--use an AM-1 for a couple of turnouts and toggle switches for the rest. 

another recommendation Alan made was to use a MeanWell 15v 10a power supply instead of a PWR-56. you give up the radio repeater function (not sure if that's an issue unless you have a very large layout), and you save some dough.  i bought this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-LRS-150F-15-150W-15V-10A-Single-Output-Switching-Power-Supply/122310427178?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

it has two sets of 15v outputs which was convenient since I started with 2 power districts.  Alan further advised to use the Ring circuit breakers, CB-1. they trip instantaneously, and self-reset a few seconds after the fault is cleared.

Wiring:  I had lots of spare 12ga Romex cable, so I stripped out the black and white conductors and used that for my track bus wiring.  for the 12v supply for the tortoises, I used 14ga Romex cable, conductors stripped out.  that is overkill but it was convenient to run under the table alongside the 12ga.

Alan has a fantastic website.  he has documented his layout construction, with lots of pictures.  it's worth some time to read through all his info.  lkorailroad.com

good luck!

ken

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »
Jeez Ken, I feel like I owe you twenty bucks.  ;D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Shadowbruf

• Fireman
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2021, 07:44:27 AM »
Cecil / Ken  - thx for your insights and thoughts.

I am not surprised by recommendation to use separate DPDT switches for turnouts. Somehow I felt switching screens while running trains might be cumbersome.

2-wire dc track wiring comment cleared yp a lot !

Thoughts on alternative power were excellent. I checked out Bill's website - clearly has some excellent pricing. Alan's website was like finding a 500# free fudge sundae -   surprisingly delicious and it will take while to get thru.

I'll condense my questions for any video to an alternate space.

Thank you - mike

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
mcbunton, your question (and it's replies) on turnout control was moved to it's own topic here: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1161.0.html.