Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 83367 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »
While I have been around about a month, I never did an introduction.  I am also retired Army, Field Artillery and I model in S Scale.  I have a large layout that is evolving to reflect my interest in operations in an urban and industrial area.  I have a number of DCC locomotives, my first priority is to change out the engines that will work my industrial areas to RailPro.  I have two switchers "working" on the layout now and one more install to do.  I live in Plymouth, Minnesota, active with the NMRA Division and chair the local RPM meet we hold every year.  I would really enjoy having a RailPro "expert" attend the RPM event April 6-7..... We have a second S Scale layout in town coming on line with RailPro soon.  I would like to have Railroad logos available as pictures I can use on the handheld.

Ken Z.

Welcome Ken. Ft Sill is within MLRS range of my hometown.

S scale? Feel free to post some pics.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

sptrainnut

• Brakeman
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
Good Morning everyone, my name is J. Motts and I'm easing back into HO, I've been basically out of the two rail part of the hobby for about 5 years now.  I've been collecting 3 rail Scale equipment with the hope of someday building a layout using scale equipment but with 3 rail track.  I've been buying HO rolling stock for quite some time now as I want to build a switching layout (more about that some other time).  I had purchased a locomotive from a guy on the HO sellers list and in the course of conversations back and forth, he told me about RailPro and gave me the link and I saw a link on their site and jumped over here to investigate.  Dan was telling me how simple RP is to operate and basically install and after watching the video, I fully agree.  I really liked the fact that it will work with DCC installed locomotives.  I'm going to purchase the starter set in the very near future and I'm in the process of clearing off the benchwork to get started.
My background is as follows, I've been in love with trains for as long as I can remember, my dad when I was little worked for the SP as a signal maintainer and rode Put-cars back and forth to get his work done.  When I was in my 20's, I worked for the SP as a switchman, I've always been in model railroading since I was a little boy.  I've been in N, HO, Sn3, S Standard, O Scale, On30, O 3 rail and now back to HO.
I'm looking forward to contributing to this group and I hope to learn a lot from it.
I'm 69 and live in the Arm-pit of Texas, which is El Paso.

Thanks for letting me join,

J. Motts
sptrainnut@att.net
Always strive for the very best and always Thank GOD for all that you have.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »
Welcome J,

Get yourself started by reading up what's been posted here. Ask questions when your ready.

I moved your intro post to the correct board.

- Tim (Mod)

atsfguy

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
Welcome, Ken Z and David D.
 I am also a retired FA officer, so I spent many tours at dear ol’ Fort Sill. The main thing I remember about it is that the wind blew constantly and was either blistering hot or bone-chilling cold, otherwise, it is a very good Post.
Cecil
ATSF

jdezra

• Brakeman
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
Hi all,
My name is John and I have joined RPUG since I plan to re-enter HO model railroad service. I was a model railroader as a kid (yikes, 50+ years ago) and re-entering because I have a grandson who is reaching the golden model railroad age, at least that's what I told my wife!!

I think my grandson will be at the proper age to begin his journey next year, probably Christmas, which gives me time to research, design and build a starter system. Also, my initial research indicates "this stuff ain't cheap" so I can spread out the expense and take advantage of sales throughout the year.
While far from a model railroad expert, I do have a technical background (electrical engineer). To this end, I'm still learning and hope the group will help me through this process plus I might be able to help the group.

Yes, I have select RailPro as the control element (don't have one just yet) in my new system for several reasons, which is not for this intro post.

Glad to be here and look forward to the interaction!!

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »
Good morning,

My name is Jim and I have been a train lover since I got my first American Flyer in 1961.  I have modeled in HO for several years off and on.  Recently retired, I am able to devote more time to model and learn.  Have 5 locos with RailPro and I love the touch screen control.  Looking forward to learning from you all.  FYI if you're into British motorcyles-you can understand my handle.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
...  FYI if you're into British motorcyles-you can understand my handle.

Welcome. Your post just brought back a flood of memories for me. In the very early 80's I had a small motorcycle painting business. Got hooked up with the USNOA (forerunner to the INOA) through a friendship with a chapter president. I had Commando tanks and side covers pouring in from all over the country. Must have painted hundreds of them. Good times.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nortoneye

• Engineer
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:30 AM »
Alan,

I am a member of the INOA.  I have a 73 850 roadster, started life as a high rider.  Can't beat trains and motorcycles!

DRLOCO

• Fireman
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
Greetings!
Kris Krengel (Like Santa) here.
I'm a recent convert from the confusing and frustrating world of DCC into the world of RailPro--Mr. Brillinger just sent me a package today with my new system in it.  I'm eager to get started!  With this form to help guide the way, I'm sure it'll be much easier than me trying to add numbers for CV's...

I have also took a siding and switched (heh) into S scale after being an HO scale guy since I was 8.  I've found that there was just TOO MUCH good stuff in HO scale for the budget, and S scale takes me back to my roots of model railroading (no offense to the Flyer/Tinplate guys, but i'm SCALE S).  There's enough to get started, and plenty of kit bash fodder, plus the larger size means I can fit the LM3S and iPhone speaker in a locomotive with plenty of room to spare.  I'll have a lot of newbie type questions I'm sure along the way, as I'm familiar with how to wire and can almost solder without melting the plastic!;)

Professionally, I'm a Locomotive Engineer (so I play with trains at work and at home--my wife is very patient) for CSX in the Midwest US.  If you have questions regarding "how the real guys do it" feel free to ask--The only thing I know for sure is that those crusty model railroaders that said "they never did that on the xyz railroad..." are wrong.  Prime example, last week my local run's motive power was BCOL4104 and CSXT 1107.  Yeah, that's a BC Rail Dash-8 Cowl unit and an SW1500 together.  SO, put whatever consist of engines together you want...just have fun!
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Kris. Bet you had fun when you were a kid with that name.  ;)

It is great to have professional railroaders in the discussions. I am fascinated by some of the stories told like your power last week. Must have made for an odd looking combination. But I suppose horsepower is horsepower.

Welcome to RailPro. You made a wise choice.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Raconn

• Fireman
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
From Ralph Conner:
Hi. Building a HO layout is one of the 10 million interests I have. Benchwork has been framed and I am at the pre-wiring phase. I am wiring and equipping the layout for a double loop main with the ability to isolate tracks and selectively run on DC or Railpro.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »
Welcome to the group Ralph!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Bill Perez. I am relatively new to the use of RailPro. I have tried it in the past but found it a little difficult to use. I am currently changing era's from 1 gen to modern so I expect to have less issues than I had. What got me back was the introduction of the LM3s and the new video. Consisting is always something I have loved with this system. I think joining this group will be a big help to me with the product and I hope I can, in turn, help others. I have used DCC and have a really good working knowledge of it as well as some of the tools to take advantage of it and make it easier to use; still not as easy to use as RailPro however.  8) Anyway I am looking forwards to reading and learning more about the system. I believe RailPro has a bright future.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
Bill P,

Welcome! You said that your previous experience with RP was a little difficult. Can you explain more? I'm curious what difficulty you had.

Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
Bill P,

Welcome! You said that your previous experience with RP was a little difficult. Can you explain more? I'm curious what difficulty you had.

My main issue was getting the steam sounds to work correctly. Tim was a big help with that. Then I had issues with syncing the sounds. There was also the size of the decoders. Tried to fit one into a proto 2000 gp7 and it barely didn't fit. I know more now that I did and doing that again I would have ground the weight down. Some of the sounds were not correct for 1 gen diesel units either but I know that takes time to get them. However, since I am now switching to modern power, NS as it is today, there is usually plenty of room in those units to put a decoder, all the lights you need, a speaker, and still crawl in there and take a nap to boot. Changing to modern power eliminates most, if not all of the issues I was having. I hope this answers your question. I'm glad to be part of this group as I have learned a few things from reading already.

-Best Regards,
Bill