Author Topic: Software install problem  (Read 7984 times)

Mech63s

• Fireman
Re: Software install problem
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 06:15:02 PM »
I understand. I have tried both program installs. But if I can't get the assistant then I cant get other sounds and such. So ill just wait until I figure it out. I will call Ring tomorrow and see if there is anything else to try.
I'm also thinking of switching to satellite internet service so maybe that will make this process easier.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »
There is probably little Tim Ring can do, except to change his software to use TCP for the over the internet part.

We can get you the software easily enough, we host it here on RPUG as well (not the latest version yet, I have to write a new offline installer for it) but you'll still face the same connection issue.

It would be helpful to know a little more about your internet setup; is your internet connection completely wireless or just wireless between your router and your computer (ie, the house phone line brings in the internet)? If it's the latter you can also try plugging the computer into the router with a network cable; for some reason Rings software isn't overly fond of wireless connections.

I've done a little research and have come up inconclusive of whether Verizon blocks UDP traffic or not, I've seen yes posts and no posts. My best suggestion right now is to get back onto Verizon, ask (politely) for a senior technician that actually knows something about their network and ask them "Do you block UDP traffic on port 80 for my setup (give your internet plan / the router you have etc). If they say yes then tell them Verizon is incompetent and they are just about to lose another customer. If they say no we don't block then explain to them you have software that updates a controller you use that communicates over the internet using UDP on port 80, and that the packets are not making it to the update server.  Is there any settings I need to configure in the router etc.

- Tim

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
Yes I live so far out the only options for internet is cellular or satellite. My set up right now is strictly verizon hotspot.

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
I had the same problem. You can not down load from a jet pack or satellite. I went to a friends house that had cable and plugged in to the router and had no problems downloading the files I wanted. Any updates I will probably have to do the same unless Ring changes something. Sorry, one of the small disadvantages of living in the boonies.

Hope this helps, Dave

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
While talking to Tim Ring today, we talked about the Satellite and Cell HotSpot UDP on port 80 issue and he says ha has customers on Satellite and Cellular hotspots that have no problems and others that do have problems.

He indicated that one customer did discover that his router was in some super lockdown mode that was blocking UDP on port 80 and once it was opened up all was good.

If your provider says they are not blocking UDP on port 80 and you cannot connect, make sure your Software Firewall AND your Router are not actively blocking it too.

Failing that Please do call Ring Engineering and let them know you are having trouble.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
After talking with Verizon again, my problem has had a trouble ticket filed with the network team. Hopefully some time this week ill have an answer.

Thanks to everyone who has had input. I greatly appreciate it!

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
Well Verizon says they aren't blocking UDP on port 80. I still cant download any of the software. I'm right back to square one.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »
Well, we can get you the software no problem, it's in the files section of this forum. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,597.0.html . Read the post very carefully.

This will allow you to install it (at least we'll know you have the current version installed) but we may still have to solve the connection problem.

HC Simulator is in the files section too.

- Tim

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:52 AM »
I'm all over it. Ill check it out and give it a try tonight. Thanks!

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
so even though I was able to download and install the software from the files provided here on the forum, I'm not able to connect to Ring so I wouldn't be able to down load sounds, effects or anything from Ring... Correct?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
Basically yes, that is correct. There is a way around that (see below) but I would like to see if the connection issue can be solved, but we'd need more information on how your internet setup works.

Firstly though, now that RPA is installed did you try to setup RPA so that is will try to connect? There is a button in the lower right hand side of RPA to access RPA's setup. You need to provide an email address and a password (of your own choosing) at a minimum for RPA to try an connect to Ring server. If you didn't do this try it anyway. I'd still expect it to fail but stranger things have happened.

If it doesn't work this is what I can do. I can provide you with an RPA storage file with what you want pre-downloaded into it. We can work up a list of what's available to download and what you want downloaded into the file.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 11:51:04 PM »
Tim, that's a great solution.  We've had a number of users who are on satellite connections that can't seem to get into Ring's server.  Providing a storage file is a great work around until Ring figures out how to get around the satellite issue.

-Kevin

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:31 AM »
Tim,
 I did try to set up the connection bit it still failed. And since I'm new I would have to research which files I would want. So that may take me while to figure out. Although I have a pair of GP35s id like to get set up.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
No worries, take your time. A list of available sounds is here: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,18.0.html

Pictures there are too many to list but you can make your own in RPA anyway.

Light Effects (all revision 2) available are:

Attack
Beacon
Dim
Ditch - Finish on
Ditch
Double Strobe Dual Sync
Double Strobe Dual
Double Strobe
End of Train Device
Firebox Dual
Firebox
Gyra Dual Snyc
Gyra
Mars Dual Sync
Mars
On/Off 1 second Dual
On/Off 1 second
Pulse 250ms
Single Strobe

I won't bother listing the accessory projects, unless you want to light a caboose, or animate something with an accessory module.

Question: What device is your Hotspot? I looked at a couple of user manuals from Verzion and the Jetpack's seem to be UDP capable so if you can tell me what device your Hotspot is I can look up the manual for it; I have a couple of ideas of what we can look for in the device settings.

- Tim

Mech63s

• Fireman
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
Tim,
   I'm using my LG V20 (phone) as a hotspot.

Thanks,
Kevin