Author Topic: Some Computer Interface Module CI-1 questions  (Read 5649 times)

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
Some Computer Interface Module CI-1 questions
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
I am still trying to figure out if I can use RailPro without a solid internet service connection for Ring Engineering’s downloads.  Bill Brillinger stated: “you could ask your vendor to update product for you” in Reply 13 https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,641.msg5045.html#msg5045.  That is true and I had that in mind as a requirement for initial purchase but what about after sales software updates?  How can I get them?  As I understand RailPro, the Computer Interface module, CI-1, is a great place to download RE's files vs downloading directly to the Handheld Controller, HC2, and then later transferring the files to the HC2.  So I have the following questions:

1.   Can all Ring Engineering files be downloaded to the CI-1: Engine pictures files? Sound files? Module update files? Unknown to me files?
2.   Is the CI-1 storage large enough to store all the above files at one time?
3.   If not, can the files be downloaded to a standard USB thumb drive and then transferred (using Windows File Explorer) to the CI-1 as needed?

I am totally new to this.  I may be asking wrong or silly questions so please try to fill me in with the appropriate knowledge. 

I truly appreciate all your help,
LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Some Computer Interface Module CI-1 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
1.   Can all Ring Engineering files be downloaded to the CI-1: Engine pictures files? Sound files? Module update files? Unknown to me files?
2.   Is the CI-1 storage large enough to store all the above files at one time?

The CI-1 does not have any storage.
You could have somebody else download files to the HC Sim and have them send you the data file for the HC Sim. Then you can use the Ci-1 with the HC-sim to load update your LM's.

This would not help you to update your actual HC-2's though.

3.   If not, can the files be downloaded to a standard USB thumb drive and then transferred (using Windows File Explorer) to the CI-1 as needed?

Sort of - see above.

HOWEVER, you can easily find out what your situation will be like by downloading the RPA software from Ring Engineering no and seeing if it can connect and brows the files from Ring. If it can, you are good to go. If you have trouble downloading and installing the RPA or HC Sim software, then you know you have UDP issues to overcome.

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
Bill,

My intent was to follow your directions to the letter. I don't really know what I am doing but here is what I did and the results:

I went to Ring Engineering website and click on the
"DOWNLOAD RailPro Assistant Program"

It then downloaded "RailProAssistantInsataller.exe".
I ran the program, and clicked on the "I accept" button to the License Question.

Next I got the following:
"Error - Could not copy files from Ring Engineering" and "Did this Program Work OK?
I click on the "NO" button

Next I got the following:
"Detecting Issues", "Try recommended settings", and Restart "RailProAssistantInsataller.exe"

The result was NO CHANGE

1.   Did I do what you instructed me to do?
2.   What should I be doing?
3.   Does this mean that my system won’t allow downloads from RailPro?
4.   Where do I go from here?

Thanks and sorry to being such a bother,
LeRoy
Retired, Homeless, and full timer RVer.  I live in my truck camper and roam the USA, Canada, and Alaska.  I sold my home to my son but I still have full access to the entire lower level.  I have somewhat of a HO bench plan designed.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »
LeRoy,

From memory that error message has two meanings, 1. the installer can not reach Ring's servers and 2. It can reach the server but can not copy the files because Windows is blocking it from doing so because the installer doesn't have the required permissions to copy the files to your computer.

First you can try this:

Run the installer again but instead of double clicking it to run it, right click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator". This will give the installer the correct permissions to copy the files. If this works then great we know what the problem was, if it doesn't work we'll have to look into it further.

- Tim

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
LeRoy,

From memory that error message has two meanings, 1. the installer can not reach Ring's servers and 2. It can reach the server but can not copy the files because Windows is blocking it from doing so because the installer doesn't have the required permissions to copy the files to your computer.

First you can try this:

Run the installer again but instead of double clicking it to run it, right click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator". This will give the installer the correct permissions to copy the files. If this works then great we know what the problem was, if it doesn't work we'll have to look into it further.

- Tim

I right clicked on the installer and selected "Run as Administrator".

I got: RP error.JPG

It just sat there for awhile and then I got: RP error.JPG

LeRoy

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »
LeRoy,

The best thing you can do will be to call Tim at Ring Engineering and tell him you want to buy his product but you have discovered that you cannot even install the programs because of connection trouble.

He will do what he can to assist and hopefully he will find a solution to this problem.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Homeless by Choice

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
I was looking forward to building a model train layout run by RailPro as I stated before.  I am not computer savvy. I expect any modern computer program operating on Win10 to load using Win10 Installation Wizard: Download the program, the Wizard opens, Ask permission to make changes to this computer, Accept the license, Installation begins, Click the Finish button, and everything works.  I just downloaded another program and that worked exactly as described.

I read other threads here where RPUG members were having software download issues so it is not just me.  I have read the “work arounds” developed by RPUG members to help the download process.  In my mind, that just emphasizes the point that RP software is not written using modern techniques and/or are not fully Windows compatible.

If Ring Engineering doesn’t want to support User Friendly interfaces, that is their choice.  It is also my and their lost.  I couldn’t sleep last night as I was fretting over this issue.  I completely give up -- surrender.  I don’t want to put up with the frustration and worry over what should be a pleasurable hobby.

I want to personally thank Bill, Darryl, and Tim for your support and suggestions.

Good Bye,
LeRoy

PS:  I will never bad mouth RP to anyone.  I still believe that it is a very good start for future train control.  It just hasn't matured yet.  You have my permission to use any of this information any way that you want.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
If you want to run your trains, the HC-2 and the LM-3s work fine out of the box. You don't need an internet connection to run your trains. You don't have to update the hardware the second you open the box.
You don't have to settle for second best...DCC
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
...  I am not computer savvy. I expect any modern computer program operating on Win10 to load using Win10 Installation Wizard: Download the program, the Wizard opens, Ask permission to make changes to this computer, Accept the license, Installation begins, Click the Finish button, and everything works.  I just downloaded another program and that worked exactly as described.

Sad to see you go LeRoy. I totally agree with your statement. Because RP is a consumer product that is exactly how it should work. If it were an enterprise product I would cut it some slack but it isn't. It is a consumer product so function like one. Are you listening Tim Ring?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

roofintrash

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
I too agree with LeRoys statement. You shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get this stuff to work. In this day and age it should be simple. I recently got into 3D printing and downloaded a few different slicer programs and Fusion360 CAD design on a new computer bought just for that. I figured I'd load RPA and the CI-1 on it also, as it's in the same room. Everything loaded and worked perfectly,,,,,,,,other than the RP stuff. After some help on here, all is well and working. It just shouldn't be necessary to need help getting this stuff going.

I also wonder how many potential users researching RP have been turned off from the product from reading about these issues.
Rick

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
I've had RailPro since early 2012 and never had any issues connecting to Ring's site and downloading any files. Unless his site was down for some reason (updating etc.). I don't know if it's because I use Charter's cable internet service. I've probably installed close to 200 modules between my locomotives and those for others. I agree since there's known issues it one would think programs could be rewritten to fix them.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 05:26:25 AM »
It is a consumer product so function like one. Are you listening Tim Ring?

Some of us are still working towards this, well at least two of us that I know of are. Although I (I can't put words in Bill's mouth) do like to help people we are sick and tired of how this is still panning out still after all these years. Bill summed it up nicely the other day (not here on RPUG) but I won't quote him until he tells me I can.

I don't know if it's because I use Charter's cable internet service.

There is a multitude of possible reasons why it works for many but doesn't work for some. I am always researching the problem. Right now I am researching firewalls as there is something that we had overlooked with them.

- Tim

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »
I have had some issues with the updates from RP but I found that My virus protection (Norton) was the reason for most of my problems.
Norton can be a pain in the A__ 
Someone said they use charter's cable internet service and had no problems.
I also have charter internet but I don't know if that would make a difference.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
I too agree with LeRoys statement. You shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get this stuff to work. In this day and age it should be simple. I recently got into 3D printing and downloaded a few different slicer programs and Fusion360 CAD design on a new computer bought just for that. I figured I'd load RPA and the CI-1 on it also, as it's in the same room. Everything loaded and worked perfectly,,,,,,,,other than the RP stuff. After some help on here, all is well and working. It just shouldn't be necessary to need help getting this stuff going.

I also wonder how many potential users researching RP have been turned off from the product from reading about these issues.

No, you shouldn't. It doesn't matter how great the concept of RailPro is if you can't get the product to work correctly, reliably, and with minimal headache. Everything we complain about involving the complexities of DCC are just as true with Ring's products when it comes to the RPA interface. It is flat out ridiculous and the reason I have quit recommending RailPro to anyone I know.

If Ring doesn't get their act together someone else is going to come along and offer the complete package and I'll gladly dump my RailPro products in the CLASSIFIEDS section and move on.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
No, you shouldn't. It doesn't matter how great the concept of RailPro is if you can't get the product to work correctly, reliably, and with minimal headache. Everything we complain about involving the complexities of DCC are just as true with Ring's products when it comes to the RPA interface. It is flat out ridiculous and the reason I have quit recommending RailPro to anyone I know.

If Ring doesn't get their act together someone else is going to come along and offer the complete package and I'll gladly dump my RailPro products in the CLASSIFIEDS section and move on.

Please, Tell That To Tim Ring!