Author Topic: Minatronics 1.5V Incandescent Bulbs  (Read 10201 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Minatronics 1.5V Incandescent Bulbs
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Is there a difference between carbon film and metal film resistors?

I'm thinking I should have majored in electronics instead of aviation.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Alan:

I assume I'll need 3 of these? One for the mars, one for the emergency stop, and one for the headlight pair?

Correct.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 11:03:19 AM »

Yes there are differences, however they are inconsequential for your application.

Metal film resistors are more stable at elevated temperatures and they exhibit much lower capacitance at high frequencies. Useless tidbit of knowledge since you are not likely to ever build anything where it would matter. If you decide to build a microwave oven then we should talk.  ;D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »

Yes there are differences, however they are inconsequential for your application.

Metal film resistors are more stable at elevated temperatures and they exhibit much lower capacitance at high frequencies. Useless tidbit of knowledge since you are not likely to ever build anything where it would matter. If you decide to build a microwave oven then we should talk.  ;D

I wouldn't ever but I have a 13 YO that I'll need to keep my eye on.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 04:58:58 AM »
Alan,

Out of curiosity, how would using LEDs affect your 317 circuit?  Or is it just overkill when an inline resistor will do?
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
Alan,

Out of curiosity, how would using LEDs affect your 317 circuit?  Or is it just overkill when an inline resistor will do?

LED brightness is determined by current whereas bulb brightness is determined by voltage. LEDs tend not to change brightness as drastically as bulbs do when the voltage varies. A similar circuit for LEDs would use a constant current regulator, not a constant voltage regulator.

Here is a huge selection of constant current devices. Pick the one that supplies the amount of current desired (LED brightness) and solder in place of the usual resistor.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/pmic-current-regulation-management/734?k=&pkeyword=&FV=ffe002de&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:04:09 AM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Thanks Alan
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
LED brightness is determined by current whereas bulb brightness is determined by voltage.

Alan,

Isn't that misleading? Both globe and LED brightness are determined by the voltage applied and current drawn. Change either and the brightness will change for both of them.

As for the LM317 circuit, it's been a long time since I looked at one of those but given that it provides a fixed voltage to the output regardless of the voltage applied to the input wouldn't you classify it as a constant current device (for our purposes at least), given that whatever is connected to it (globe or LED) being given a fixed voltage would draw a fixed current? I know it's not a true constant current device but still.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
Alan,

Isn't that misleading? Both globe and LED brightness are determined by the voltage applied and current drawn. Change either and the brightness will change for both of them.

- Tim

Yes and no. You are thinking of the Power formula P = V * I. An increase of V or an increase of I or an increase of V and I will result in an increase of P. So in that sense you are absolutely correct. However in a specific device or circuit that may or may not be true. Take for instance the LED drivers referenced in the reply to Chris. Increasing applied voltage to them does not increase amperage in the circuit.

In this thread's specific instance, a bulb's luminosity is related to the applied voltage whereas LED brightness is related to current flow.

The current flow through a bulb is fixed by resistance of the filament at a given temperature. Raise the voltage and you raise the temperature making the bulb brighter but also increasing its resistance which in turn limits current flow. If the bulb were burnout proof at some point raising voltage would not cause more current to flow because the filament temperature induced resistance will have risen to a point that prohibits doing so. Since the resistance is internally fixed by the filament size, the temperature (and resultant resistance) is a function of applied voltage, not of available current. That is why bulbs are commonly referred to as a voltage controlled device. BTW the basis for folks using 1156 tail light bulbs for over-current protection.

The current flow through an LED is not fixed whatsoever hence why an external means of limiting current is always required. There is no limit, the bigger the power supply you have the more current you can pass through an LED. At least for a very brief moment!  ;D
The only voltage relevant to an LED is the voltage drop across it. You can operate an LED on any voltage you wish so long as the proper current limiting resistor is used. Because an LED is not voltage specific but is current specific they are referred to as a current controlled device.

As for the LM317 circuit, it's been a long time since I looked at one of those but given that it provides a fixed voltage to the output regardless of the voltage applied to the input wouldn't you classify it as a constant current device (for our purposes at least), given that whatever is connected to it (globe or LED) being given a fixed voltage would draw a fixed current? I know it's not a true constant current device but still.

- Tim

In our particular instance the bulb resistance does not vary and the LM317 voltage does not vary so yes, the current remains the same. But that is not the definition of a current controlled device or circuit. Virtually all devices/circuits would qualify as current controlled if we apply that definition. A current controlled device/circuit is defined as one that maintains a fixed current as voltage and/or load varies. Just as a voltage controlled device/circuit is defined as one that maintains a fixed voltage as current/load varies.

The LM317 in and of itself does not have the ability to limit current. That is dictated by the resistance of the load. For instance, if you short together the leads of a LM317 the power supply's full current output to flow through the the device. The resulting puff of smoke proves it is not a current limiting device. Conversely, measuring the output voltage while placing differing loads on the LM317 you see the voltage does not change with load proving it is a voltage limiting device.

So, you are right with respect to the state of any device/circuit at a given moment in time but, with all due respect, wrong in definitions.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
Y'all should charge tuition.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

I’d pay tuition for these lessons if it meant we get to see some progress on that layout of his...
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »

Not me, I'll just end up putting my foot in it and no one wants to pay for that. I knew how a globe worked, I knew exactly what a constant current device was yet I put my foot in it by trying to be cheeky and call something what it isn't because we end up with the same desired result  :-[

I did that (stupidly) because I missed Alan's link to all those wonderful SMD constant current devices (where were they 10 years ago when I wanted them?) and I have never seen or heard of anyone using a constant current device for headlights etc; I've only ever seen articles on using the LM317.

Parts List; Am I on the right track?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/LM317LCPK/296-26093-1-ND/2254850

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/susumu/RL1220S-R82-F/RL12S.82FTR-ND/432492

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/ERA-3AEB161V/P160DBTR-ND/1465835

First link, LM317 look's ok.

Second link, that's a 0.82 Ohm (820 milliohm) resistor. You need an 820 Ohm. This should do the trick: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/ERJ-8GEYJ821V/P820ECT-ND/203366

Third Link, power rating too low*, this should do: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electronic-components/ERJ-8GEYJ161V/P160ECT-ND/203277

* Based on Alan's previous post stating 1/4W components.
- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »
You can use 1/10W resistors if you wish. There is only 1.53mA of current through the divider network at an output of 1.5V. That equals 0.0023 watts, well below 1/10th watt. I said 1/4 watt resistors only because Jacob mentioned he had on hand 1/4 watt pieces.

With SMD components there is very little size difference so doesn't matter much which you choose. The LM317 will take up the bulk of the space.

It is worth mentioning an LM317 can use an upper divider resistor of a any value between 100 ohms and 1000 ohms but it exhibits maximum stability with an upper resistor of 220 ohms (actually 240 but that value is not readily available). For a light bulb stability is not much of a concern. However, for others that want to use this circuit for something where maximum voltage stability is critical then you really should consider a 220 ohm upper resistor. Since the output voltage is a function of both resistor values, changing the upper will change the lower. It will also change the total current flowing through divider network which will determine the wattage of the resistors.

Here is a handy LM317 resistor calculator: http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/electric-circuit/lm317-voltage-calculator/

Once the values have been determined then use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistor wattage: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

Remember to double the power value so your resistors run cool.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »

Not me, I'll just end up putting my foot in it and no one wants to pay for that. I knew how a globe worked, I knew exactly what a constant current device was yet I put my foot in it by trying to be cheeky and call something what it isn't because we end up with the same desired result  :-[

I did that (stupidly) because I missed Alan's link to all those wonderful SMD constant current devices (where were they 10 years ago when I wanted them?) and I have never seen or heard of anyone using a constant current device for headlights etc; I've only ever seen articles on using the LM317.

- Tim

Naw, there is no stupidity going on. It is a lively give and take discussion where we all learn. Exactly what message boards are meant to do.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website