Author Topic: getting started on a budget  (Read 1617 times)

faithie999

• Conductor
getting started on a budget
« on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »
I am moving from a prehistoric Lenz system.  I will slowly replace modules in about a dozen locos with RP modules.

I would like to economize by getting started with a DC power supply rather than the PWR-56.

does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable power supply?

thanks!

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Re: getting started on a budget
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
I think Bill (the owner of RPUG) may have some alternative power supplies available, but I'm not sure. You can connect with him on his site at www.pdc.ca.

I do recall him saying something about the PWR-56 having some kind of short protection, etc. when I was purchasing items for my father's system, as I inquired about the same thing.

Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
Are you planning to run your DCC equipped locomotives during the change over period? If so you'll need to continue using the Lenz system to provide power and run them; RailPro won't be able to control the DCC loco's and the DCC equipped loco's won't run on DC power.

For a DC power supply, firstly I'd recommend the PWR-56 as an easy way to get started, it's designed for the purpose and the cost isn't so astronomical if it's gotten as part of the starter kit, but I do realise that many want/need something beefier or cheaper. Some of us are using/have switch mode power supplies like these:

MFG_LRS-150.jpg

There are heap of these type of supplies on places like eBay, though not all are created equal and price varies a lot too. You also have to wire the mains power to them yourself so the mandatory caution about don't unless you know what you are doing applies.

Without knowing any specific's like how large is the layout and how many loco's you run at once a good guess would be a 5 Amp power supply should suffice for most scenarios. RailPro has a nominal voltage of 14 volts but you won't commonly find that voltage so you'll have to choose lower like 12v or 13.8v, or IF the power supply has a voltage adjustment you can go higher (15v) and use the voltage adjust to lower it.

If your layout is very very small, like a simple oval of track on a 4 x 8 you could possibly get by with a wall-wart type of supply, you can get these up to as couple of Amps capability but for anything bigger don't try that path.

The power supply needs to be a regulated supply. That means as the load increases (more locomotives running) the voltage doesn't drop off. Most quality supplies would be regulated but you'll always want to check.

Apart from that I can't give a you a whole lot more info I'm afraid.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
Don't forget that the PWR-56 also acts as a repeater for our all wireless system.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:42:39 AM »
thanks!