Author Topic: Good year or poor inventory control?  (Read 2249 times)

IDRick

• Fireman
Good year or poor inventory control?
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:05:36 PM »
Was looking at Railpro systems today and many of the sellers are out of stock for the RPK1.  Was this Christmas season a great year for Ring Engineering, poor inventory control or?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Good year or poor inventory control?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:38:23 AM »
My guess is that most of the resellers don't keep much in the way of the handhelds, starter kits etc in stock at any one time, perhaps even only one or two as they are probably slow movers. Some may even only backorder them when someone orders them. They're more likely to keep things like the LM's in stock in greater numbers. Ring shows the RPK-1 in stock.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
I always recommend PDC first but since Bill is out of stock my second choice is Yankee Dabbler. They show the RPK-1 as available.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »
I've been running a pretty significant boxing day sale, of which today is the last day. I didn't bring in any stock for this sale as It was a spur of the moment decision to offer it.

Most of my stock sold out in the first 2 days when the discount was deepest.

I expect to fill backorders in mid to late January depending on how fast Ring can deliver new product.

I try to keep enough product on hand to meet regular demand, but Ring does not keep any product on hand except a small QTY for direct sales - he seems to produce based on reseller orders and lead times are often 1 to 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:52:17 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

IDRick

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
Bill, what is a boxing day sale?  Are the prices on your page the boxing day sale prices?  Can a person make an order and pay when the product is in stock?  How long before stock is replenished?  Thanks!

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
I've been running a pretty significant boxing day sale, of which today is the last day. I didn't bring in any stock for this sale as It was a spur of the moment decision to offer it.

Most of my stock sold out in the first 2 days when the discount was deepest.

I expect to fill backorders in mid to late January depending on how fast Ring can deliver new product.

I try to keep enough product on hand to meet regular demand, but Ring does not keep any product on hand except a small QTY for direct sales - he seems to produce based on reseller orders and lead times are often 1 to 2 weeks.

Bill, your sale brought in two new converts that I know of. I had been preaching the good word and your sale pushed them over the edge so to speak. I wish I knew what Boxing Day was too.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »
Boxing Day is the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday Sales (although we have those as well) - definitely NOT the day to go to the mall or the local Wal-Martian corral. The sales usually last a week or so.
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Boxing Day is the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday Sales (although we have those as well) - definitely NOT the day to go to the mall or the local Wal-Martian corral. The sales usually last a week or so.

I believe all the Commonwealth of Nations states have boxing day.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
Bill, what is a boxing day sale?  Are the prices on your page the boxing day sale prices?  Can a person make an order and pay when the product is in stock?  How long before stock is replenished?  Thanks!

The prices on my page will expire at midnight tonight. Payment is required at checkout otherwise I will not add the items to my order from Ring. I expect new stock in mid January.

For people wishing to place larger orders, I am usually able to offer a discount on orders over $500. Feel free to contact me when you are ready to order to receive that discount.

Cheers!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.