Author Topic: CB-1: Distance from protected section of track  (Read 911 times)

Espeelark

• Engineer
CB-1: Distance from protected section of track
« on: September 05, 2024, 12:38:31 PM »
I typically install my CB-1’s immediately adjacent to a PWR-56 Power Supply. I like it this way because when there is a short I can quickly look and see which CB-1 is indicating “red”.
In my latest CB-1 install though, that means it will be ~20’ from the protected section of track. What's my risk here?
Does it's ability to detect a short start to fall off a cliff after 10 feet?
I can re-locate the CB-1 in question to be immediately adjacent to the section of protected track, I would just prefer to keep it physically located with the other CB-1's.
Anybody know? Or have some real world experience here?
Thanks in advance.
I've sent an inquiry to Ring as well.
Espeelark (Paul Mac)
Modeling the SP in Ohio
"Bad is never good until worse happens...."

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: CB-1: Distance from protected section of track
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 08:55:32 PM »
It's always the most ideal to have the circuit breaker as close as possible to the potential short but it's not a hard and fast rule, just the most ideal. As long as the bus wire for the protected section (including to the CB-1) is adequately large enough for the short to be detected you should be fine. How large is large enough depends on a few variables. Probably the easiest way is to put the CB-1 where you want and short out the furthest section of track from it to test if it trips or not.

Searching DCC short protection distance should bring up some good reading on the subject too as the DCC folk have been and are still going down this road every day.

- Tim

Espeelark

• Engineer
Re: CB-1: Distance from protected section of track
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 02:23:00 PM »
Just to close this topic out, I chose to locate the CB-1 immediately adjacent to the section of track it was intended to protect.
Ring responded that I could go ahead and try it at the location that I originally intended, but to be sure to test it with the coin test to make sure it responded the way it should.
It was a coin-flip between the two locations and just decided to go with the bulletproof option.
Espeelark (Paul Mac)
Modeling the SP in Ohio
"Bad is never good until worse happens...."