Author Topic: Back in the hobby!  (Read 7873 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Back in the hobby!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
Just like DCC, short protection is not provided by the module in the locomotive (same as it's not provided by the DCC decoder in a locomotive).

In DCC, short protection is provided by the command station and boosters, or by other breakers installed by the modeller on the track bus. In RailPro, short protection is provided by the power supply. The PWR-56 provides short protection by shutting off the track power until the short is removed.

If you used a power supply other than the PWR-56  you would need to ensure it had adequate short protection built in or even better an external breaker, similar to the breakers Alan designed for his LK&O railroad. This is how I'll be doing it.

- Tim, wishing his fingers would warm up so he could type properly!

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
Separate breakers have many advantages. 1. They go hand-in-hand with occupancy detection wiring; 2. Doesn't shut down the whole layout; 3. Trip currents can be set for each individual track segment thereby further reducing potential damage; 4. Local proximity to the short eliminates damage potential of capacitive/inductive discharge from the wiring; 4. Clear indication which track segment the short occurred. I could on and on.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
If you don't need the repeater function you can use commercial switch mode power supplies. They are available inexpensively up to 50A. The RailPro radio signal is plenty strong throughout my 28' x 32' layout. Not needing signal repeating I went the SMPS route. Much less expensive and much greater amperage selection available.

Currently I use a 7 amp model ($19.95) which is ample for operating 20-25 Atlas or equiv locomotives @ around 200mA per loco + a little supply headroom. Should the day come I want to run more then I simply swap out the supply for larger unit. The bus wiring is 12 gauge so should be good all the way to 20 amps. That would a be a staggering 100 locos running.

http://www.lkorailroad.com/powering-the-lko-part-i/

Alan,

Did I miss a link to find the 7 amp power supply?

Thanks.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 08:02:34 PM »
Posting eBay links is often frowned upon. Don't know if Bill is OK with it here. Search eBay for "Mean Well 15V 7A Power Supply".

Mean Well site is funky. You can't post direct link to pages on the site. Go to www.meanwell.com Search for NES-100-15. That is the power supply I use. Bought mine on eBay. There are many different amperage units available.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »
Links - Post links to anything as long as it's railpro related.

Links to eBay in sales groups are frowned upon. This is not a sales group :)
Although if somebody wanted to sell used railpro stuff on here, I would have no objections.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
Posting eBay links is often frowned upon. Don't know if Bill is OK with it here. Search eBay for "Mean Well 15V 7A Power Supply".

Mean Well site is funky. You can't post direct link to pages on the site. Go to www.meanwell.com Search for NES-100-15. That is the power supply I use. Bought mine on eBay. There are many different amperage units available.

Thanks!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org