Author Topic: Sounds on the horizon  (Read 22044 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Sounds on the horizon
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:09:40 PM »
In conversations with Tim I've learned that Ring Engineering has many new high-quality recordings in their possession, and that work is beginning to create new prime mover files.  This will be welcome news to all of us diesel users, as the current Railpro prime mover files leave a lot to be desired.

Confirmed upcoming releases (no idea on release window...could be a while):
-GE Evolution 12-GEVO (for ES44 series) (already in beta, but got put on the back-burner to focus on hardware...HC-2 revisions and CI-1)
-GE Evolution 12-GEVO-T4 (for ET44 series)
-GE 7FDL-16 (Dash 9, AC4400
-EMD 710-G3B (SD70MAC, SD70, SD75)
-EMD 710-G3C-T2 (SD70Ace)

Unconfirmed but hinted at:
-EMD 16-645 Roots
-EMD 16-645E3
-EMD 16-567

These take a while to do, so I wouldn't expect them to be released quickly.  However, it is nice to know that we have some good, high-quality sounds coming our way.  From what I've heard of the GEVO beta the rest of these recordings should be awesome. 

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Sounds on the horizon
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »
YAY YAY YAY ! ! !   

I can't wait. Now if only the 645's were at the top of the list :(
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »
Better EMD 645 files are great news, but sad that there are no Alco's on the list (still dreaming of a 251...)

Also would love a UA Turbo Train so I can module up my Rapido Turbo. Are there any instructions out there on making your own recordings for RailPro?
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Now if only the 645's were at the top of the list

The 645E3 is at the top of my list, that's for sure.  I have SD40-2's that really need the right sound.

Better EMD 645 files are great news, but sad that there are no Alco's on the list (still dreaming of a 251...)

Just because I don't have it on the list doesn't mean that Ring doesn't have recordings of it.  I have confirmed only the ones listed above, and read between the lines on the others.  I didn't ask anything about Alco's, as I don't model them, but it's possible that they've obtained recordings of those as well.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
Tim did indicate to me some time ago that he did have excellent new recordings of multiple version of the EMD 645. So yes they are coming.

Be patient Billy, be patient. :)

As for the turbo, Ian, did you try the GTEL Turbine?

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
I would also like to see the new 645's. I have been asking Tim for an Alco 244 (PA-1) for a couple of years now. There are still a bunch of us who model the 40's through the 60's.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Great news! With new prime mover files, this will put RailPro on an even playing field with several high quality DCC decoders. Can hardly wait for the new files to become available.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

CPRail

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
Alas the GTEL Turbine is completely different from the UA Turbo. They had a small diesel engine for moving the power around in the terminal, and only cut in the big turbine when heading out on the road.

The UA Turbos had the turbines running all the time.
Ian Lisakowski

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
Also got word from Tim that all new recordings were made with the locomotive under load.  That should mean that we'll have some exceptional sound. Many of the other control companies record the locomotive stationary and run it through all eight notches.  However locomotives sound different when under load or pulling a train.  At the end of this, Railpro may have some of the best sounds available on the market. 

Now the question is how will those source recordings be used.  A lot of the final product comes down to editing and how the software uses the sound.  Hopefully Tim is able to utilize these recordings to their full potential.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:32:48 PM by KPack »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
The UA Turbos had the turbines running all the time.

I wonder if you recorded the original sounds from the Rapido Turbo Train how difficult it would be to operate it using custom sounds loaded into the LM?

I've never heard the Turbo, so I'm just spitting ideas here.

CPRail

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 08:40:55 PM »
Bill,

I've thought of that as well, but I have no idea how to go ahead with the recording. Thoughts?
Ian Lisakowski

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
I've thought of that as well, but I have no idea how to go ahead with the recording. Thoughts?

I'll email you.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »
At the end of this, Railpro may have some of the best sounds available on the market. 

Now the question is how will those source recordings be used.  A lot of the final product comes down to editing and how the software uses the sound.  Hopefully Tim is able to utilize these recordings to their full potential.

On a given day in the world of audio, RailPro would be probably be classed at the bottom end but when RPA creates a sound it is doing something that I don't fully understand yet that seems to create good sound from low quality. I know how many bits per sample and how many samples per second there are utilised for the sound files yet the format evades me. Lot's more study needed.

I wonder if you recorded the original sounds from the Rapido Turbo Train how difficult it would be to operate it using custom sounds loaded into the LM?

You could do that, and you don't need (or want) a microphone either however the resultant recordings may not be what you expect, and you have a lot of editing ahead. Since Bill has put his hand up I'll let Bill handle it.

I did go to Rapido's website to see if I could find out what decoder they used; I had to laugh very loudly when I came across their decoder page, where they mentioned the "special"  8 ohm speaker they included. Nothing special about it; 90% of the world would know it's nothing but an iPhone 4S speaker  ::)

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
Since Bill has put his hand up...

That's because Bill lives 1 hour from Ian. ;)

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
In conversations with Tim I've learned that Ring Engineering has many new high-quality recordings in their possession, and that work is beginning to create new prime mover files.  This will be welcome news to all of us diesel users, as the current Railpro prime mover files leave a lot to be desired.
-Kevin

That's great.  But what about us steam guys????