Author Topic: MRL Trains Dumps DCC  (Read 2364 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
MRL Trains Dumps DCC
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
The verdict is in.......After years of evaluating all the brands of DCC decoders I've finally decided what will be the standard decoder for my fleet. And the winner is................................
NONE. I will be phasing out DCC decoders in favor of Ring Engineering's Railpro.
Their most recent upgrade includes DCC compatibility that will allow me to slowly phase out my 30+ DCC decoders as time and money permit while equipping all new locos with Railpro modules. The Railpro equipped locos can still run on my NCE system using my NCE throttles and Wi-Throttle. And consist with decoder equipped locos too. Ding Ding WINNER!
Spend 16 minutes watching this video. It may change your whole outlook. I've seen the future. It's not DCC. DCC may never go away (like DC hasn't) but I don't think it will be top dog much longer.
Watch the video and let me know what you think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=r5OM3KL4vfc

https://www.facebook.com/MRLTrains/
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
Re: MRL Trains Dumps DCC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
I think we'll see a lot more of this.  The more people understand what Railpro is capable of, the more they will realize the shortcomings of DCC.  And Railpro has gotten a lot of press coverage lately, which has certainly helped educate other modelers.  Since the article came out in MRH I've had quite a few new subscribers to my YouTube channel, which is basically all videos about Railpro.  On that note, I think it's time I did a very in-depth update video going over all the new features.  A lot has changed since my first video in 2012.

Welcome MRL Trains to Railpro!  Hopefully we see him on this forum.

-Kevin

MRL Trains

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm Here.  Looking forward to working along with you "pros".   I can't wait until the mailman delivers my order.  I plan to push the envelope on the Dual Mode side of things.

Best Regards,

Chris Heili
MRL Trains
Modeling the Mullan Pass in 1995

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
Welcome Chris!

I'd be interested to see how you integrate the Dual Mode.  Most of us here went full Railpro when we made the jump, so we don't have a lot of DCC equipment to test with.  I do know it works, as I've tested it at a friend's place.  But besides testing with DCC everything I have is Railpro only.

What are your plans for controllers?  Are you going to run Railpro on strictly DCC for now?  At the very least you will need a CI-1 to easily set up the Railpro modules, but I highly recommend at least one HC-2.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
We will be watching!

RP_DCC_envelope.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »
I will be watching for reports as well. Although I was able to try the DCC Enable feature during testing, my club had to move, and we had to tear down the layout. We are in the process of rebuilding it, but I haven't been able to use that feature. I have no DCC at home. So I'm looking forward to your reports. Besides, I'll be looking for more RP converts once the club layout is up and running.  ;D
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

MRL Trains

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I ordered an LM-3S, a LM-3 and the CI-1 for now.  I plan to test heavily with DCC mixed consisting using the new DCC mode.  I'm real curious about the speed tables.  For regular DCC locos, I developed a speed matching schema where I set each of the 28 speed steps to certain MPH using a speedometer.   Steps 1-12 are 1 to 12 mph. After that I increase each step by 2 mph.  Fine control is necessary when helpers are "manned" (run from a separate throttle).  NCE allows me to set my throttle to 28 steps. Using this schema, I know how fast I'm running by the speed step I'm on.   Does Railpro have a way I can know how fast I'm running in scale mph?  Or will I have to start pestering Tim for that feature. ;)

Next purchase will be the HC-2 and more modules.

Chris
Modeling the Mullan Pass in 1995