Author Topic: Any Suggestions  (Read 5542 times)

DaveB

• Fireman
Any Suggestions
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
I tried installing RP Assistant and RP Simulator last night with no luck. I tried everything that has been suggested in the other Tim's installation manual, laptop connected to router, windows firewall turned off.  I found a thread on the forum about a manual download, I don't have the computer smarts to try that.

After clicking "accept terms" it goes to the RP download, the green bar does not move and after about 20 seconds a failure to load box pops up.

Probably something simple I'm missing. When it comes to computers, the basics is about it.

Thanks, Dave

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Any Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »
Dave, what kind of internet connection do you have?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
Dave I've been fighting this issue for over a year. I tried everything posted and the only thing that worked somewhat was taking my notebook computer to a friends house and using his cable internet connection. I have the only thing that is available out here in the boonies, and that is satellite, hughes net in particular.

I found that a satellite connection is incompatible with Rings server. This is a known issue and needs to be fixed on Rings end. He is aware of it, but so far hasn't done anything about it. Maybe if enough of us complain, we may get him to make some corrections.

Joe  >:(

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
I thought satellite may be the problem when reading about problems others were having. I will find someone who has cable to their house and give it a try. There are advantages and disadvantages on living on little back country roads.

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Dave, what kind of internet connection do you have?

This.

Be aware that I was unsuccessful connecting on the road as well using hotel connections.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Sorry Bill, I didn't answer your question. We have satellite, comes across the fields and woods from a tower about 4 miles away. Usually works very well. This is the first thing I have not been able to download. Will try someone who has cable to their house. Will let you know the results. It will be a few days.

Should receive the order you sent Saturday tomorrow. I think my son has the tracking number memorized. :)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
No Problem Dave.

Please do let Ring know about your issue. It's kind of ridiculous that it does not work.

I expect the issue is the latency of the satellite connection interfering with the download verification scheme that Ring uses.

Keep us posted!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
I wish Ring would rent space on AWS like everyone else and put an end to all the connection problems. Goodness gracious, they even offer free. https://aws.amazon.com/free/
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:03 AM »
I found that a satellite connection is incompatible with Rings server. This is a known issue and needs to be fixed on Rings end.

I think that is an unfair statement. There is actually nothing wrong with Ring's server per se (leaving aside how slow it is etc). In fact I'm quite sure you can reach it no problem (see below), just not with Ring's software. What was a poor choice was the protocol chosen for downloading from the server, UDP.  The most likely reason you (and Dave) cannot download from Ring is for some reason you cannot send and/or receive UDP packets. This is also the most likely reason Jacob cannot download while using a Hotels connection.

Here's something for you to try. Open up a command prompt / command window or what ever your version of Windows calls it and type this in and press enter:

ping 99.110.149.169

If you get a reply from 99.110.149.169 then you have connected to Ring's server using the ping command (basically asking it if it's there).
Ping uses TCP  so if you do get a reply then that will prove the issue is your ability to send and receive UDP packets. If that's the case I'd start hassling your ISP.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:43:50 AM »
Dave, see if you have Windows Defender turned on. If it is, disable it and try again.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
I have tried windows defender both ways, on and off, same results. Results of Bills suggestion: ping99.110.149.169 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Not sure what all that means. :)

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
Ops. Tim's suggestion, not Bills.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
You need a space between the ping command and the IP address.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »
OK, will put in the space when I get home later tonight. Thanks.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
ping 99.110.149.169

I Also cannot download from Ring server, nor the PING above doe not work as Google says" did not match".