Author Topic: Forum Suggestions  (Read 15361 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Forum Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
What about something for other new technologies? I found a new panel control system in AU this is simply amazing that I'd live to share.

My inclination is that if it's not RailPro related, it does not belong here.
Perhaps MRH or another forum would be more appropriate for sharing such topics.

That said, if there is interest from this group, I would not have a problem with creating another category for "off topic discussions".

We had that same mentality with a Free-mo forum and it quickly died out due to such a narrow focus. I do notice on the  truck, motorcycle, gun, and aviation forums that I visit that there are outside topic forums that allow me to peruse other topics and keep me there on that forum which leads me to an overall higher participation.

That's just my opinion though.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with an off topic section in my opinion.  The focus of the forum is Railpro, but I think it would be appropriate to discuss other mostly railroad issues as well, though in a separate sub forum.  Other forums are better for general train topics, but something that could be used in conjunction with Railpro would be useful to post here. 

-Kevin

DBeacon

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »
I noticed two points here today.  One being the "sub-topics", the other being "new technologies".  While I'm other forums, the likes ranging from political to whatever, I too have found them to get bogged down in the "we have to include everything" stance or we lose them.  Being unique, as I hope this site will be, is the end all be all.  It's why I'm here.  Sub-topics relating directly to operations with RP as the backdrop....I'm in. "New technologies" has my full attention.  We've seen DC, we've endured DCC (bad taste )....we, or maybe just me, should be ready for the next big thing.....no wires.  Is that not the implied definition of RP.  I think so.  One step further will be "deadrail", the way many are leaning as I will too.  It is my belief that that will be the direction of the hobby.  Your tools, lawn equipment, phone, computer, I-Pad....the list will grow exponentially and will eventually include our loved hobby.  Time will tell.

Abiqua

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »
I'm with Bill. This is a RailPro board. Non-RailPro topics should go to the appropriately related boards. Individuals such as my self are trying to learn all we can about RailPro. Sorting through unrelated topics is very distracting and confusing.
Bob -- Cottage Grove, Oregon
SP&S and Oregon Shortlines

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
Sorting through unrelated topics is very distracting and confusing.

If there was a sub forum you wouldn't have to sort, just ignore.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

Robert

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:14 PM »
If there was a sub forum you wouldn't have to sort, just ignore.
Jacob
Nothing wrong with an off topic section in my opinion.  The focus of the forum is Railpro, but I think it would be appropriate to discuss other mostly railroad issues as well, though in a separate sub forum.  Other forums are better for general train topics, but something that could be used in conjunction with Railpro would be useful to post here. 

-Kevin

+1 and 1. After all, if I had not seen RailPro mentioned on another forum, I would not know about it and be considering buying into the system.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 12:39:31 AM »
This is one of those things that has points for both arguments, for instance, the same as Robert had said, if Jacob (from memory) hadn't bought RailPro up on the Free-mo (which uses DCC, not RailPro) Yahoo! group then I doubt I'd know about it and I'd still be sitting around thinking what better things I could be doing with my life than trying to co-exist with DCC

I think if one can prove to themselves that what they want to post is not a competing system and they want to tell everyone so they can convert too but is an enhancement to RailPro use and enjoyment that's not from Ring Engineering then that should be ok given it's own section and rules. In reality it is probably not as simple as that but it is worth considering. I don't know if control panels would fit the rules but there are topics already and most likely in the future that do fit.

- Tim

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
Thanks, now I have another forum to follow in my limited spare time.

The one thing we don't want is to have so many forums and subforums that it becomes nearly impossible to navigate and browse.  Take The Diesel Detailer forum for example: http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/.  That forum has 7 main areas with 68 (!!!) subforums.  It's overload!  So we ought to be cautious on what subforums, if any, we decide to add.  We don't want to go overboard!

Additional thoughts?

-Kevin
[/quote]
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

Prostreetamx

• Fireman
  • Modern BNSF
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
I guess I used the quote option incorrectly. Only the first sentence is actually mine.
Modeling modern BNSF on 20x20 freelanced double deck layout under construction.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
you can edit your post using the "Modify" option at the top of the comment
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Ok, I have created a new General Discussion Board and Renamed the old one to RailPro Discussion!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.