Author Topic: New install issues  (Read 16580 times)

Morebassman

• Fireman
Re: New install issues
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
I Had my HC repaired and I had a eyebolt installed for a landyard since it was there.
 I can't remember exactly how long but I think it was closer to 3 weeks.
$25.00 for the eyebolt since the controller was open.... but $35.00 if you just send it in for the Eyebolt for the lanyard.
Kind of expensive either way but I read where Ring dosen't recommend taking apart the controller for callibration issues... But I remember a preivious post from Bill installing his own eyebolt without a problem.
I"m a little afraid of opening up a $250.00 plus controller with my lack of knowledge on this thing but hey... that's how you learn. Your call if you want to install an eyebolt for a landyard.
By the way... I had dropped my controller seveal times in my basement and that is why I had to send it in to be repaired. Haven't dropped it since the landyard.

MustDecide

• Fireman
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
What is the difference between the Blue Label and the Grey Label HC2? Is one newer?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
The Blue Label HC-2B is the current production version

It has has more memory than the Grey Label HC-2 along with a redesigned circuit board. the board was redesigned due to changes in availability of some components that were used in the original HC-2 along with some efficiency improvements and the addition of USB based charging. The original HC and HC-2 use a separate connector for charging.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
Got an email from Ring and they repaired my HC saying only that it was a manufacturing defect. They offered me an LM3S for $50 as compensation for my troubles. Basically it covers my shipping cost and I now have a refurbed HC ::) 

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:36 PM »
Take the LM-3S!  You can never have enough modules.

-Kevin

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
I got my HC-2 kit back and plugged it up to charge and it got very warm on the back, too warm for my comfort. Does anybody else's do this?

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
It'll heat up a good amount when you are charging it from a very low state.  I would not be concerned.  If I remember correctly the HC has built-in thermal overload protection....if it gets too hot it shuts down.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:45 PM »
It'll heat up a good amount when you are charging it from a very low state.  I would not be concerned.  If I remember correctly the HC has built-in thermal overload protection....if it gets too hot it shuts down.

-Kevin

I think that applies only to the circuitry, not the batteries. There are no sensors I am aware of on the batteries in my HCs. I have charged them from a very low state several times. They do get warm but not hot by any means.

We have a cordless phone handset that the battery gets very hot if you run it way down and then put it on the cradle. So hot you would think it is going to melt the plastic phone. When that occurs I place it on the cradle for a while then let it cool down for some time before returning to the cradle. Batteries getting hot doesn't sit well with me.

I'd keep a watchful eye on your HC. Not leave it unguarded while charging just in case the factory sealed smoke wants out.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Yes, They can get quite warm.
I've never seen my HC-2 get so warm that it was uncomfortable to hold though.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep an eye on it while it charges especially from a low state. I'll borrow a thermal reader and next time it is very low on power i'll test it while charging and post here.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
I'm Charging an HC-2B right now that was all the way drained (no power on). It's at about 50% now and sitting at 84.2 deg F.